Ash and the sad truth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timusp40

Feeling the Heat
Feb 3, 2010
Lake Orion, Michigan
Got this Ash today. The trunk of this tree was over 30" in diameter so a fairly old tree. It must have been beautiful before the invasion. How sad to see the devistation under the bark from you know what. Standing dead from a little bug!
DSCF3039.JPGDSCF3040.JPGDSCF3041.JPG

Reactions: PA Fire Bug
That sucks. Not here yet. My neighbor and I each have huge ones. I wonder how long it will take to get to the Lower Hudson Valley.

It does suck. A lot of us here on this forum are culling wood that is already dead from insect infestation. Even though it is mid-spring, I'm seeing quite a few trees of different species not greening up. Sad.

Not to get off topic but do you find it more effective to have the pallets off the ground too?

Not to get off topic but do you find it more effective to have the pallets off the ground too?

Rory, that's the general idea to keep your wood out of the dirt. Not only does laying the wood directly in wood make it dirty, it also makes it easier to soak up water that general resides closer to the ground. Do a little searching, and you'll find all you need to stacking off the ground...whether it be pallets or something else.

I have my first ones dying/dead now. I have a monster tree, 4 foot in diameter with 5 seperate trunks all huge. I hear it hits the largest ones first.

Is that EAB? I thought it wasn't supposed to be in Maine yet... but I SWEAR I have wood that looks just like that.

JP

Rory,
I had a bunch of bricks so I just figured, stick them under the pallets for a little better air circulation and maybe make the pallets last a little longer too.
Take care,
Tim

Is that EAB? I thought it wasn't supposed to be in Maine yet... but I SWEAR I have wood that looks just like that.

JP

Yes.

Got this Ash today. The trunk of this tree was over 30" in diameter so a fairly old tree. It must have been beautiful before the invasion. How sad to see the devistation under the bark from you know what. Standing dead from a little bug!

Tim, that is not all ash. There is some soft maple in there too.

JP
JP,
Yup, EAB. In southeast Michigan and most of the state for that matter, Ash will soon be history unless something is developed to protect new growth. Beautiful trees and very nice hardwood with a dismal future.
Take care,
Tim

Tim, that is not all ash. There is some soft maple in there too.
Dang, I can"t sneak nothing past you Dennis!! Mostly Ash I should have said.
Take care,
Tim

View attachment 66883View attachment 66884View attachment 66885
While the eab is destroying trees by the millions ,millions more are growing new as seedlings,supposedly new growth may develop a resistance to the eab over time.No specie on planet earth has ever been responsible for the demise or extinction of another specie ,EXCEPT us humans.That is a fact that is indesputable.

I have new shoots growing off the bottom of a stump. hopfully the bug is gone now.100_6592.JPG

Reactions: DexterDay
Woodsmaster, you might consider hacking off a few of those suckers and let the biggest one grow.

Reactions: ScotO

JP

You get all kinds of larvae that will tunnel through the inner bark - you might not be looking at EAB, but damage from another insect larvae. Cheers!

I have White Ash growing again in my yard...regen!

Check to see if the ash bore is on the plants....nothing so far. DNR says its on the comeback in Southern Michigan:)

Reactions: Realstone
That sucks. Not here yet. My neighbor and I each have huge ones. I wonder how long it will take to get to the Lower Hudson Valley.

It's awfully close to you FlatBed. It's here (Ulster/Orange Counties) as of last summer.

We are not supposed to have it here near Boston, but there are a LOT of dead Ash trees down. Im still working on the big one that came down in Irene (toddlers seem to slow down everything :) ) and our neighbor is having an Arborist come to inject a lot of sickly ash trees on their property with something...

I was wondering what to do with it.

I agree with BS but I would wait a little longer until it becomes clear which of those will be a nice, straight, vigorous shoot. You could save more than one, but I would prefer just a single trunk if it were my front yard.

I have new shoots growing off the bottom of a stump. hopfully the bug is gone now.

When they go dormant, take hardwood cuttings off the new growth, scar up the bottoms, rub in some rooting hormone, keep cool, and plant them after root hairs develop.

While the eab is destroying trees by the millions ,millions more are growing new as seedlings,supposedly new growth may develop a resistance to the eab over time.No specie on planet earth has ever been responsible for the demise or extinction of another specie ,EXCEPT us humans.That is a fact that is indesputable.

You're kidding right? Over 99% of all species that have existed on earth are extinct and most were outcompeted by other species before we even came on the scene ( a scant 200,000 years ago). Yeah we cause a lot of organisms to go extinct, I am not trying to dispute that, but organisms have been going extinct as others have evolved for billions of years (only simple bacteria-like organisms that long ago).

JP

Other bugs here in Maine sometimes make similar marks . . . to my knowledge the EAB isn't here yet . . . but the State of Maine is on the look out for 'em with purple traps in many places.

Status
Not open for further replies.