Ash build up concern

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

utahdl

Jan 16, 2007
This is my first season burning pellets, and I have noticed that a lot of ash is building up on the right side of my burnpot. I am concerned because it is disrupting the flow of air through the holes on the burnpot and making the flame on that side "dance." Should I be concerned, or will that ash eventually be pushed into the ash pan? Do I need to clean anything? It just seems like I am scraping the burnpot a lot? This is my first season burning a Harman p68 that was professionally installed. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

According to the manual you should only have to clean it every 1 ton of fuel. The ash is supposed to be pushed out by the incoming fuel. Maybe someone with that unit can tell us how theirs works.

The best thing I found, is to "scrape" your burn pot everytime you put fuel in it. I found this to be the best way to stop that from happening. I know it sounds like a pain in the you know what, but it works well for me. I haven't any problems with ash build up or carbon build up on the face of my burn pot since I started doing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.