Ash build up - new to the pellet stove world,Whit Advantage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig.L

Feb 21, 2015
Maryland
We just moved in to a house we are renting with a Whitfield advantage pellet stove. We've never had one before and the owners left us with not much info on it and the wrong ( similar, but not the same) manual for it. We used it a few times and it was burning ok. Wasn't heating up the downstairs of the house like we were hoping. So, we just thought it needed a good cleaning. followed the manual to the best that I could on how to clean it. Removed the firebricks and got all the ash build up from behind them ( the baffles?), cleaned the exchanger tubes and the area around it, scraped the burn grate, cleaned the glass, emptied the ash tray. Put it all back together and now the ash is building up on the sides of the burn grate/pot. There is still ash falling through the grate in to the tray, but a lot is building up and collecting on the sides of the pot and it didn't do that at all the first few times we used the stove. Nothing has changed other than me cleaning it out. So, where did I screw up? It's a nice fire going but it is popping up the burnt pellets like popcorn outside the pot. And the air coming out of the stove is just warm, I can stand right in front of it and it doesn't get very hot. This whole thing is so new to me, and I want to try and make it work before giving up and buying a heater!

Goggle up Whitfield Advantage and download the manual. It's a PDF file and you obviously have a computer.

As a landlord myself, I'd never have a rental property with a solid fuel appliance in it. Too much assumed risk. I don't even have fireplaces in mine.

if you don't find it, PM me, I'll send you the pdf and a whole bunch of notes.

I'm in much the same boat, except I was given a Whitfield Advantage II, which I only just got around to installing a few days ago. I have an Evernote account where I've plowed the manuals and a bunch of internet research/support.

As for the heat, I realized that it puts out a different type of heat than the Englander 30 I'm burning on the main floor of our rancher. The Whitefield blows good hot air, which is nice in the basement, but it heats the air, and does not radiate like the woodstove(s) [The Whitfield replaced a Fisher Grandpa]

Every manufacturer that I know of, puts all their manuals in PDF form and makes them available online on their websites as a service to their owners, both current and prospective..

Have you cleaned the exhaust and chimney. If you had a large amount of ash in stove then chances are the exhaust has not been cleaned out in a while. With out a clean exhaust you are not going to get a good burn which in turn will not give you the good heat your are looking for.

Like I said, I am completely new to this! I've never owned or operated a pellet stove before in my life! My husband doesn't know much about them either, but he's been working so much he just hasn't had a chance to try and figure it out. So, I've been trying. I have been looking for the right manual for the stove and I believe I found it. But it didnt explain the ash pile up, so I thought I would ask people who are more experienced with this who can break it down for me. Like I said, we just moved, we don't even have all of our household goods yet. The military is still shipping it. My main Internet access is my phone. So, our house is pretty empty at the moment. Would that be a contributing factor as to why the pellet stove isn't heating up as much as I had hoped? Too much empty space to heat?

I believe this is the stove we have.

http://www.butkus.org/whitfield_operate/whitfield_operate.htm

The ash build up is all on the outside of the pot. And it didn't do that before I took it apart to clean it out.

I emailed our landlord ( her best means of communication.... :( ) asking when it was last serviced, but I am still waiting on a response. How often do they need to be serviced? Once a year?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Slight title change to your thread should get some attention of the many Whit owners here.
Welcome
Further reading of the manual will help with the frequency of cleaning and owners can give you many tips on this original stove line.

The ash does not fall thru the grate on the whits... It builds up just outside the grate as yours is doing...
Mine does the same... Need to clean it every 24 to 36 hrs.
Not sure what is in the burn pot.. is it actually burning???
You "may" need a little bit more air...
As a newbie, you have come to the right place...

Reactions: Jeff B 406
Status
Not open for further replies.