ash buildup?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 25, 2011
shenandoah county
I recently replaced my cracked door glass in my whitfield II. Since then, my ash seems to buildup around the burn grate alot more and much less down in the ash pan. Otherwise it is burning just fine. Having it sealed up better allows me to keep it burning on lower settings when needed. Thanks to many Hearth members who suggested I buy ceramic glass instead of just tempered. I did and I'm happy for it! Have been burning American wood fibers all year. Best pellets I can get locally. Others are Presto-logs and Penningtons. Anyone have a remedy for ash not falling into ash pan very much?

I'm no expert but I wonder if since you repaired the glass you are getting better air flow. That may be carrying the ash up and out of the burn pot. Maybe the ash is lighter because it is more completely burned. I bet Smokey will have an answer
I think you're right on track with your thought process on this. As long as the burn pot is staying nice & clean, and the ash is getting blown out, sounds good to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.