Ash Can posts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs. Krabappel

Minister of Fire
Jan 31, 2010
Blue Ridge Mountains NC
I wish they were not linked to our profile/searchable like back in the old days.

I agree. Didn't know they were since mod searches always did find them. Gotta fix that since they will show up in Google searches too if they are searchable here by the masses.

Paging Mr. Issod. Call for Craig Issod in the lobby.

Why, what does it matter? I don't post anything that I'd be embarrassed/in trouble if my Mom, Priest or boss read, quite simple really. Suggest everyone else to do the same!

Why, what does it matter? I don't post anything that I'd be embarrassed/in trouble if my Mom, Priest or boss read, quite simple really. Suggest everyone else to do the same!

Your life may well be that simple. If so, good for you. You're not Kathleen. You're not a single mom & Middle School teacher...a bright, opinionated adult who would really like to be able to freely speak her mind someplace without having to worry about anybody doing a simple Google search and finding something she may have posted, taking it out of context, and using it for who knows what. Rick

Reactions: ~*~Kathleen~*~
Your life may well be that simple. If so, good for you. You're not Kathleen. You're not a single mom & Middle School teacher...a bright, opinionated adult who would really like to be able to freely speak her mind someplace without having to worry about anybody doing a simple Google search and finding something she may have posted, taking it out of context, and using it for who knows what. Rick

I work for a very Large Corporation. I have been brought into the office by Higher-ups for 1 of my Posts that came up on Google (from here).

My Wife is a teacher and both her and I have confidentiality agreements. I slightly went over the line on my post. I since "mod'ed" it so I didn't break any rules... (about a yr ago).

I completely see where Kathleen is coming from. I thought I was in the good... But I was wrong. Just the way something is worded can affect you.

Or your name. I have members who know my actual name.. But my name is very rare (VERY)... So when my name is called out, even in standard posts, it comes up on Google.

Some people have more freedom than others at there place of work or want to remain somewhat anonymous. Some more than others. I wont call someone by there real name, unless that there Screen Name or in there Signature.

My 2 pennies.

Yep. I have the freedom of not ever having to look for or keep a job again or worry about what somebody thinks of me or could use against me. Well, except if they find that body buried on the property. If they search I hope they search where that granite rock pile is that I need moved.

But the rest of our members don't have that luxury.

Let me back up my older posts before you delete.

I may need them to prove frame of mind at a later date.

I wasn't saying I am better than anyone else. It's in my own self interest to moderate what I say or write and I suspect everyone else is in the same boat. I can't go into much detail, but I have a security clearance and it would be quickly pulled if they found something I wrote (or said) that was in violation of having that clearance. I know a few people that have had it pulled for writing a couple bad checks even.

That being said, I'm not afraid to call a pot black either. Just with using some level of professionalism and tact. ;)

Hmmm.....Ash can is not viewable by the general public at all.

I don't think it comes up in regular searches for guests or members....

I still am going to delete older posts...

Is that not enough?

If you visit my profile you can link to past posts, including ash can posts. Previously ash can posts were not included.

I don't think so, but there were some other useful settings.

I wasn't saying I am better than anyone else...

Nobody said you were saying anything of the kind.

...I have a security clearance...

Got nothing to do with it. Lots of us here have or have had (in the past) security clearances. Yours truly held a Top Secret for ~25 years. Big deal. Everyone has their own personal reasons to want to protect their privacy from unwanted intrusion. Kathleen was simply looking for a little help/reassurance from the webmaster, that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.