ash-cleanout door (4" x 6")???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

msarrel

Dec 14, 2005
I need a 4" x 6" ash-cleanout door. I checked two local fireplace stores and all they seem to have are 4" x 8" doors. I don't need anything fancy, just a hinged door that is the right size. I guess I could enlarge the hole, but I'm reluctant to take chisel to brick. I've attached a small photo showing the ash cleanout in question. If such a door is not available commercially, is it possible to have one custom made?

Thanks,

Marc

Attachments

• ash.jpg
    ash.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 315
I'm trying to find one for you this morning, but not having much luck either.

I'd be happy to make you one next week if you can't locate anything.

Check out masonry supplies stores maybe Home Depot yours is an odd ball size common is 4/8

Corie -

I might just take you up on that later. I'm using a couple of pieces of sandstone brick that I picked up at Home Depot at the moment. Seems to work fine. Had the inaugural fire earlier this evening. I'm going to keep looking for a little bit, though.

It's even trickier than I realized before. The actual opening is 4"x6". But, one of the 4" sides is right up agaist the rear wall of the firebox. So, there cannot be a flange on that side. Also, the brick is chipped and worn along the two 6" sides, so I'd need extra flange (maybe 2" or 3") on those sides. The front 4" side isn't chipped so much. I'd also have to double check the depth of the hole for the vertical pieces.

How complex is it to make this sort of cover and how much would you charge?

Marc

Corie said:
I'm trying to find one for you this morning, but not having much luck either.

I'd be happy to make you one next week if you can't locate anything.

Not super complex.

Umm, how much would I charge? Jeez, I don't know.

I'll take a look at what the materials would run and try and guess. Let me know the exact measurements of what you need, I'll make an autocad drawing of what I have in mind and we'll go from there?

Status
Not open for further replies.