Ash Color and Texture

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scarter2

Jan 2, 2009
Southern ME
Any meaning to what the ash looks like? I noticed recently that the ash used to be a light gray and very powdery. Now it's much darker and a bit more coarse (not quite sandy). Haven't changed the pellets and clean the stove daily and weekly. I haven't noticed any real difference in performance either, just seems odd.

Thoughts?

I don't usually even worry about my ash too much. When I burn my Turman hardwood (oak) pellets, I usually have a gray soft ash. Some of the other pellets I have burned leave a darker more coarse ash. I usually concentrate on the quality of my burn (flame). As long as your flame has stayed active and you feel your getting an optimal burn, then the ash variation must be from the pellets themselves.

I'm with Codebum on this one. Had the same concerns, but found that even though I was burning bags from the same pallet, every once in a while the ash would change. Either the color, the shape, the size, the amount...

Status
Not open for further replies.