Ash Content Spec

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ejectr

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2009
Brimfield, MA
So exactly what does it mean? Percentage of what? Weight? If a premium pellet has an ash content of < 1%....1% of what? 1% of 40 pounds is .4 pounds. Is that what they're saying?

No way... If that was it, then a ton of pellets would have 20 pounds of ash. I don't have 20 pounds of ash after burning 4 tons.

Did you notice the less than symbol that is this thing < . The specification is by weight so a < 1% means less than 20 pounds per ton and that gives a very large range for a premium pellet.

But 1% of 40 pounds is indeed 0.4 pounds

Did you notice the less than symbol that is this thing < . The specification is by weight so a < 1% means less than 20 pounds per ton and that gives a very large range for a premium pellet.

But 1% of 40 pounds is indeed 0.4 pounds
Yes. but .29% is point 29 of 1% and that equates to 5.8 pounds in a ton and I don't have that either. The ash bin is full after 2 tons but still as light as a feather. No way that ash weighs 12 pounds.

And < means any amount up to but not including that amount, any amount could be 1 pound or 19.99999 pounds. Not only doesn't it all end up in the ash bin, it doesn't even all end up anywhere in the stove and vent system some of it (gasp) ends up in the air outside and on the ground.

Ok... That certainly answers my question. Just never seemed the ash weighed that much.

The percentage spec is obviously a good way to tell the clean stuff from the ashy stuff.

Thanks.

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
Yes. but .29% is point 29 of 1% and that equates to 5.8 pounds in a ton and I don't have that either. The ash bin is full after 2 tons but still as light as a feather. No way that ash weighs 12 pounds.

Only about half the ash goes into the ash pan. The other half is fly ash that gets stuck to the firebox walls, combustion blower, vent, and even some makes it outside.

My vent is in between two rows of Brick pavers. The amount of ash that gets caught between them, would shock some people. But, it's hooked to a Quad (;)) and its direct vented (short run of about 2 ft).

But that weight is there. You just don't see it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.