Ash distribution question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bostonfan49

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2011
Essex Jct. Vermont
Never thought much about it until now but I think I am getting more fine ash adhering to the inside of my firebox walls (sides and back) besides what falls into my ash tray. My combustion air (fan) works fine at all speeds. My feed trim is on 1 (because of the mild temps) and the draft damper slider is about 80% open. I have been experimenting with the combustion air on both the lowest setting and on the highest setting. If gravity causes most of the ash to stay in the burn pot liner and fall into the ash tray.....what causes an increase, or any amount of ash to adhere to the walls?
Thanks! Hope every one has had a good Thanksgiving

Your exhaust fan likely pulls the finer dust higher in the fire box ... on my stove there is an air channel from the top of the fire box on the outer/back edges with clean out ports at the bottom rear of the outer fire box. Fine ash adheres to the "fire brick" on my interior fire box and requires a soft paint brush to remove. If it is a metal interior, paint brush during the burn season and wipe down with damp cloth at the end of the year. A light spray of cooking oil spray keeps the rust away...

Your exhaust fan likely pulls the finer dust higher in the fire box ... on my stove there is an air channel from the top of the fire box on the outer/back edges with clean out ports at the bottom rear of the outer fire box. Fine ash adheres to the "fire brick" on my interior fire box and requires a soft paint brush to remove. If it is a metal interior, paint brush during the burn season and wipe down with damp cloth at the end of the year. A light spray of cooking oil spray keeps the rust away...
Thanks Lake Girl! As to the "soft paint brush" before I vacuum, I put my stove in manual, hit the power button on then off.....then I can open the door and as I paint brush inside, the exhaust sucks out the falling. But....my cleaning equipment is going to change as I am adding a Oneida Cyclone kit to my Shop Vac. I am tired of carrying a full ash tray through the house into the ash bucket in the garage. Now I will be able to Vac the ash tray in under 5 seconds and keep my Shop Vac Filter and bag virtually clean. As to my original question, I'm still curious if a higher combustion air speed can cause more ash to swirl around and stick to surfaces than just falling down....?
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.