Ash door?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FatttFire

Feb 14, 2008
Snowbelt, Ohio
I have an inside massonary chimney clay lined! Build in the 70's and works great the draft I get is the best! In the bottom of the chimney is an ash clean out! It consists on a 4" hole in the block, with a soup can stick in the hole! Yes a soup can, and yes it is empty! Should I replace it with a ash clean out door? Is this door air tight? Does it need to be? Can I do this myself?

if what you describe is a clean-out for your stove flue, by all means keep it. it should be fitted with an airtight door placed high enough on the chase to provide a pit for accumulated debris.I've found the best to be Ahrens cast concrete with a 'lift-out" solid and gasketed door. I have no idea of your skills, but it ain't brain surgery. If you feel confident cutting masonry and mixing mortar you'll be okay. If not, skip the learning curve and get a pro to do it.

blackgooseJT

Status
Not open for further replies.