ASH DRAWERS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flyfishn

Mar 9, 2008
North Van , BC
I had the guy from the stove store over today, to figure out which stove to purchase. He mentioned to skip the ash collection system, as they tend to foul up,leading to not closing fully( trapped pieces) and letting air into the fire causing hot spots and a faster burn. Has anyone had this issue. Should I just skip the system and sweep out the fireplace after every burn or when needed?

Your stove guy's take on ash drawers seems pretty accurate to me. I've never had one, but friends with this feature have experienced precisely the problems he cited. The Ash Trap, an ash collection device discussed elsewhere on hearth.com, plus a vacuum with a fine dust filter (for cold ash only) are all you really need for cleaning and minimal mess.

Yeah, what fraxinus said. We don't have an ash drawer on our stove either but from what I've read on here...that's the way it is.

Just say'en I was hesitant about getting a stove without an ash pan underneath but it's no big thing. Before reloading in the morning shovel 3-4 scoops in the front of the stove...rake the hot coals forward, level off then reload some new splits. Done!

They do sometimes get pieces caught behind the pan, requiring that you reach back in with a flat piece of rod (or whatever) to fish them out. The other issue is that if you are a 24/7 burner, when you remove the ash pan with a fire still burning you need to get those ashed dumped QUICK and get the pan back in (or you end up with the problem above). But these are not exactly big problems, and most of the time they work perfectly. My new stove doesn't have one, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to miss it.

Well, I'm gonna vote "yes" for ash pan, at least on my stove. The isle royal ash pan system is pretty straight forward. The key is to not let it get over flowing. Very simple, very effective, very handy.

I wouldn't obsess over this feature. Often stoves seem to burn better with a layer of ash on the firebox floor.The ash seems to act like a layer of insulation under the fire. Also, the wood that you burn will also affect the amount of ash created.

The larger Jotuls and Morsoes also have a nice ash pan system. FWIW, we went for years with a Jotul 602 without one and all I did was shovel out the ashes every other week. Not a big deal. Some folks just clean out the ash once or twice a season. I suspect I may be running the T6 this way, but we'll see. So far I'm not that enamored with the PE ash pan system, but haven't run to the stove for a full season, so I'm not the best judge.

I have one but never use it. A metal stove shovel and metal pail are all I use.

Simple and efficient. To each his own.

Velvetfoot, that looks like a handy little tool, and they have a really beautiful stove in their video.

What size did you buy the 8" or the 12" ?

12"

Surprisingly practical. At first, I didn't think it would work and sold it. Then I gave it another try and now I like it. Have to put it somewhere safe to cool. But the updraft in the stove takes away most dust. I kind of have to shake it a tad to get the ashes to go down to the bottom for carrying, but my insert is small.

I became tired of emptying my Jotul ash pan - it seemed far easier to let it fill up, never empty it, and just empty whatever ash accumulated within the firebox. I'd rather scoop out a couple weeks worth of ash from a flat firebox floor than remove the ash pan and whatever else accumulated on the ash floor.

My morsoe has a pan. It catches half of what falls through the grate, if you wait too long to empty it, you will have to shovel out the ash pan area. (luckily morsoe gives you the most usefull fireplace poker ever with the new stove, that makes cleaning the ash tray alot less painful.

My recommendation, don't judge any stove because it does or does not have an ash pan. You can try using it, if you are unhappy with it, you can do like many do and forget that it is even there and empty the stove when it is needed. This will not have any ill effect on your burning or your stove.

Dan

My Dutchwest has a grate, an ash pan and door, so first thing each morning before I disturb the fire, with gloves I slide the ash pan out and carry it outdoors and empty it. Very little dust, and the job is over in about two minutes. A good efficient system. But that is another door to maintain the seal on.

Nice to see I'm not the only one that got tired of prying out over full ash pans and cleaning up the mess from this convenient device, and just let it fill up and forget it was there.

Have (and have had) both, and if the pan/grate system is well designed (like the Morsos) it's less messy, quicker and easier than no pan. The Nestor Martin's is ok but not the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.