ash fell out of my stove!! - PDV-25

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maj_Jedi

Nov 23, 2008
Central ME
I have an englander PDV-25 stove. It's not throwing out much heat, the window is caked in soot and when I opened the door to clean it out today embers came out onto the floor, I've never had that happen before, I cleaned it out this morning and by 4:30 the bottom auger was almost plugged with ash.

about 2 weeks ago we had to replace the bottom auger, the electric motor had burned out.(replacing the bottom auger was a real pain to replace) It seems that before that it was fine. we left the back sheet metal off to ease maintanance. the stove was bought in august 2008.

we have burned almost 3 tons so far this winter averaging 2 bags per day.

any thoughts on what is going on?

thanks!

Since you've burned almost 3 tons, that means you did a MAJOR cleaning on the stove ie: took the stove completely apart, removed blowers and cleaned them, cleaned all the vent pipe, cleaned every nook and cranny that you could find, check door gaskets, etc, etc. (should have been done after 2nd ton)

What is your "regular" cleaning schedule? just "cleaning the embers out" is NOT cleaning the stove. The window being caked w/ soot leads me to believe the stove is dirty and not enough air is flowing.

macman said:
Since you've burned almost 3 tons, that means you did a MAJOR cleaning on the stove ie: took the stove completely apart, removed blowers and cleaned them, cleaned all the vent pipe, cleaned every nook and cranny that you could find, check door gaskets, etc, etc. (should have been done after 2nd ton)

What is your "regular" cleaning schedule? just "cleaning the embers out" is NOT cleaning the stove. The window being caked w/ soot leads me to believe the stove is dirty and not enough air is flowing.

apparently i don't know how to do that. I have to do the annual cleaning after 2 tons? not at the end or beginning of every cleaning season?

Maj_Jedi said:
....apparently i don't know how to do that. I have to do the annual cleaning after 2 tons? not at the end or beginning of every cleaning season?

Yes, the "annual" term is just a guideline. The stove needs to be cleaned COMPLETELY after 2 tons of burning. You could have a blocked vent pipe, blocked blower motors.....any number of things could be dirty or blocked.

Doesn't the Englander manual outline what and how to clean the stove?

Take a look at this link to the "stickie" that talks about maintenace:

www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/13413/

macman said:
Maj_Jedi said:
....apparently i don't know how to do that. I have to do the annual cleaning after 2 tons? not at the end or beginning of every cleaning season?

Yes, the "annual" term is just a guideline. The stove needs to be cleaned COMPLETELY after 2 tons of burning. You could have a blocked vent pipe, blocked blower motors.....any number of things could be dirty or blocked.

Doesn't the Englander manual outline what and how to clean the stove?

Take a look at this link to the "stickie" that talks about maintenace:

www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/13413/

OK, I guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow

It was mentioned that your stove wasn't throwing much heat, and that you have left the back off for maintainence. Try putting the back of the stove back on it and you may get more heat. I did the same thing(left the back off) and noticed that my heat level was down from what seemed normal. When I put it back on, the stove went back to its normal heating level. I have no idea why the stove produced less heat with the back off as it really shouldn't affect anything burn wise, maybe someone else knows why. Put the back piece back on when you are done cleaning, and see if that helps.

That heat shield allows you to place the stove so close to combustibles. without it you are heating that wall which is most likely an outside wall and your losing the heat that would normally be reflected from the steel back into the unit and pushed out by the blower

Status
Not open for further replies.