Ash from the Ash?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
Did Ash get it's name from it's residual presence, or am I getting loaded up from something else? Right now the woodpile seems to be yeilding 20 cherry, 50 ash, and 15% each oak and elm. The ash buildup is major compared to when I was pushing mostly oak through the doors earlier in the season.

No.

According to one source on the internet (so take it with a grain of salt) the name ash goes bak to the Old English word aesc -- used to refer to spears made out of ash wood. As you probably know ash is known for its use in baseball bats and similar products.

I don't notice a huge difference in the amount of ash . . . unless I am burning a lot of popple or similar wood.

I was burning mostly elm for the first part of the winter and have now switched to ash and I would say that ash definitely produces more ash.

Ash or black coals are you talking about? I have burnt quite a bit of Red Oak and White Ash this year and I have to say I think I have more hot/black coals in the morning after loading it up with the White Ash. Coals unbelievably well. Better than Red Oak from my experience.

does the ash have much bark on it? That's where the ashes come from when your burning ash. The wood leaves very little ash.

wendell said:
I was burning mostly elm for the first part of the winter and have now switched to ash and I would say that ash definitely produces more ash.

Same here. I finally switched over to almost all white ash and I'm getting lots of ashes each morning. I do think it's coming from the thick, corky bark, though.

My wife is always complaining at the amount of ashes we get from burning ash.

I get a lot of coals from ash ,but if I let them burn down down there is little ash.

I have been burning 3 yr old ash since Dec. 20, 24/7 with 2 days off for Christmas visit. I have 1 full 5 gal. bucket of ash. The 4 " rounds, coal awesome and put out more heat than the splits, don't know why but they do. The only thing I notice is I get clinkers every once in awhile. Not coal lumps. I don't burn anything but wood. Sometimes on a low coal start up I use some cedar kindling. A lot on my wood is bark less so I wonder if the clinkers are some bark.Anybody else get clinkers?

Will

Willman, we have not noticed this yet and we've burned a lot of ash.

Seasoned white ash is a great firewood, but an oldtimer expression around here is , "Burn Ash, get ash. "
I have always found Beech or Sugar Maple coals up better for morning rekindles.

I will dig thru the ash bucket for some pieces to take pics of. The last 3 pieces I washed off in the laundry tub and left them out to dry for a pic and my dog crunched em up into fines. Should have some new ones on the next clean out.

Will

Willman said:
I have been burning 3 yr old ash since Dec. 20, 24/7 with 2 days off for Christmas visit. I have 1 full 5 gal. bucket of ash. The 4 " rounds, coal awesome and put out more heat than the splits, don't know why but they do. The only thing I notice is I get clinkers every once in awhile. Not coal lumps. I don't burn anything but wood. Sometimes on a low coal start up I use some cedar kindling. A lot on my wood is bark less so I wonder if the clinkers are some bark.Anybody else get clinkers?

Will

I get a ton of clinkers when I burn red elm. Some of them are fist sized! But very, very little ash.

When I burn chinese elm I get a ton of ash.

I did just find about 10 1 inch rocks in my stove during yesterdays clean out. first time for that. usually its assorted metal chunks. mostly forest wood. but never any clinkers from pine.

Totally in sync with Willman. Burning 100% Ash here and get a large number of clinkers (half inch to tennis ball size) every ash cleanout. This is regardless of wood with bark or not which killed my one theory. I was wondering if my constant cooling down period or lower temp 500 range causes them vs. the hotter stoves and longer fire periods others run. I only burn half the day and have a smaller firebox. Maybe hotter, longer burns them up?

Tim

The only thing I've noticed burning ash is you will get bigger coals and possibly those 'clinkers' if the wood is not well seasoned. The greener the wood, the more coals you get.

My wood is 3 years old and it lights off immediately upon hitting the coal bed. All firebrick inside insert. Secondary combustion,So its hot. Also my shop stove burns the same wood and I don't get any clinkers in that one, pre EPA Jotul #3. Just wondered if certain parts of the logs create the clinkers, like early wood or the late wood. Obviously its not the bark from the previous poster.

Will

mainstation said:
I have always found Beech or Sugar Maple coals up better for morning rekindles
I threw on five small splits and left for a couple of hours. When I came back, I found mostly ashes and few coals.

mainstation said:
,"Burn Ash, get ash. "
Earlier, I burned some Dogwood. When I opened the door to reload, three dogs jumped out. :cheese:

Woody Stover said:
mainstation said:
I have always found Beech or Sugar Maple coals up better for morning rekindles
I threw on five small splits and left for a couple of hours. When I came back, I found mostly ashes and few coals.

mainstation said:
,"Burn Ash, get ash. "
Earlier, I burned some Dogwood. When I opened the door to reload, three dogs jumped out. :cheese:

That explains the sticky stuffy in my chimney...honey locust.

I have also noticed the ash is loaded with small splinters. Seem to get one every load, just by picking up the split off the pile.

Status
Not open for further replies.