Ash is great

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

24vcummns98

Oct 24, 2015
Northern VA
Friend of mine dropped off some ash logs the other day. I really enjoy this stuff!

Attachments

• 2016-11-16 10.39.39.jpg
    2016-11-16 10.39.39.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 319
Sure is. Hundreds of dead standing in my area and a major resource for wood burning. A ton of people sell it and burn it somewhat green, which we all know is not the best, but can still be done. The dead and dry portions help out with that. What I don't know is how people will do it when they are almost all gone. Other trees simply will not burn cut that year and thousands of wood burners do just that in my area, but can make do cause it's ash. Things will change when there gone. People will have to start getting a year ahead, even when getting from suppliers.

Reactions: cygnus
Man that's a deal. Have you found a way to invest in him continuing to do so?

Very nice score, especially with a free supplier!
I have literally an unlimited supply of ash too.
(At least a few hundred available, and most of my stock)
I know it'll be gone soon enough. Hopefully the saplings don't attract
the borer which will hopefully die off or number way down for another healthy ash cycle.
New ashes are coming up. At least they seeded on their way out.

Reactions: D8Chumley
I just scored a bunch of ash myself this week. Tree had been dead for a few years, so it's already pretty dry. How does this stuff burn? Is it better for starting fires or reloads?

If I could only have one wood to burn, it would be Ash

Me too.

It's unfortunate that all of the ash trees will be gone from my property in a year or two. What's left is standing dead or dying now, and there's only a few areas where my dad and I haven't collected all of them from.

It is unfortunate. I'd say roughly half the trees on my property are Ash. I'll have to relocate my hammock, as it's strung between 2 dying Ash that are dropping limbs. Don't need that headache ;)

Reactions: Tom123 and Nelson
One of these days im hoping to get my hands on some osage.

Is that stuff just really not available to most people? we have farmers ripping out old hedge rows all the time around here. most of them just burn the stuff in a pile. my dad and I got the go ahead to prune back about 500 feet of hedge row both sides of it and then another 500 or so feet of just one side in the same hedge row. I feel bad for you guys not having it available.

Is that stuff just really not available to most people?
Yes and no. It's around just gotta be at the right place at the right time with someone willing to let you have it.

Reactions: warno
Osage population around here is very minimal. We are in northern Va but the rural side. I can count on one hand the osage trees I've seen in the last year or two. Like Woodsman said you have to be in the perfect place to get your hands on it here.

Osage population around here is very minimal. We are in northern Va but the rural side. I can count on one hand the osage trees I've seen in the last year or two. Like Woodsman said you have to be in the perfect place to get your hands on it here.
I've seen a few around NoVa but you're right--they're pretty unusual. I notice them most in the fall when their fruit piles up on the ground below. Always brings a smile to my face because it reminds me of my childhood in Ohio, where they were a lot more common. I liked how the fruit looked so I'd always bring some home to play with and end up getting sticky sap all over me. Ah, to be a kid again!

Reactions: D8Chumley
I've seen a few around NoVa but you're right--they're pretty unusual. I notice them most in the fall when their fruit piles up on the ground below. Always brings a smile to my face because it reminds me of my childhood in Ohio, where they were a lot more common. I liked how the fruit looked so I'd always bring some home to play with and end up getting sticky sap all over me. Ah, to be a kid again!
Same in central VA. I've only ever seen one that I can remember.

Is that stuff just really not available to most people? we have farmers ripping out old hedge rows all the time around here. most of them just burn the stuff in a pile. my dad and I got the go ahead to prune back about 500 feet of hedge row both sides of it and then another 500 or so feet of just one side in the same hedge row. I feel bad for you guys not having it available.

I agree with yes and no. Osage represents a very small slice of the total tree pie down here. It's only found in old hedge rows most of which were long destroyed for agricultural expansion. For example I have a few thousand acres to cut from and so far I have only run across one Osage. It's the last one remaining on an old hedge row and I hate to cut it down being the only one on the property.

Status
Not open for further replies.