Ash-like creosote?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BradleyW

Burning Hunk
Jan 4, 2014
Northfield, MA
I just had my chimney cleaned. Last year was my first year with the Jotul F55. I know I should have had it checked during the season last year, but I didn't. Unfortunately I couldn't be home when the chimney was cleaned so I didn't get to talk to the guy or see what he found. His invoice says he found a gallon of "ash-like creosote".
I guess I have a couple of questions for everyone. First, is creosote ever "ash-like"? I thought it was sticky and tar-like. Second, is that a normal or "good" amount of stuff to find in your chimney after a season of full time burning? I burnt about six cords last year. (Yes, I know my house is a sieve).
Thanks in advance everyone.

Ashy looking is likely better than dark and tar-like. My flue pipe when needing to be cleaned always seems to get this hard, shiny-ish black coating on it. If it's ashy looking, I would think that means something is combusting more thoroughly. It could be that he was alternating what he was burning so it kind mixed in layers, or was tinkering with his stove temps too much and kept sending differing amounts of particulates up the chimney. I just hope he wasn't burning plastic and trash in there, who knows what kinda crap that would leave behind, not to mention PCB's and other plastic related combustion products that will cause cancer, for example. When my flue is dirty, I can tap the pipe with a hammer, and get black dust to fall into the firebox, which I guess is partially combusted creosote. A full season of burning will likely cause a hell of a buildup, that's why everyone recommends sweeping once a week or 2, or at least once a month. My old man hasn't swept his chimney in years, burns pine in a mama bear Fisher, and what comes out of his chimney looks like the stack on an old coal train in a bad 50's western. I keep telling him that will turn his shop into a statistic.

A Jotul F55 is a damn good stove. What kind of wood are you burning and how long is it seasoned? If you are in MA I will assume it is a decent hardwood like Oak or Ash or Maple.

I have a mix of hardwoods, hickory, birch, beech, maple, oak. Mostly maple. I am working on getting ahead with my supply. This year about 1/3 of my wood will be great, 2/3 will be ok. Next year 2/3 will be great, 1/3 ok. In 2017 I will finally be where I want to be. But the F55 has done great. Obviously not as efficient with sub-par wood, but has kept us cozy nonetheless.

With my Old Stove ( Buck 27000 Smoke Dragon) The top 4" of the pipe & The Cap would get a Black/Hard/Very Light & Brittle substance on it (Creosote I Presume) There have been a few times when I was up there cleaning that I could tell It had Burned cause it had Ash Grey edges on it, Ive even found totally burnt pieces of it on my front porch.. :( ( Ran that since 2001 ) Which Totally Justified the 2.8k for the new one... Can Hardly wait to burn it.... C'mon Cold Snap.... :)

Reactions: turn_n_burn
Sounds like you just have well-combusted creosote or ash buildup. It sounds like it needed a good sweeping, but doesn't sound like a huge issue. If it was a gallon of tar, I would be worried. Keep 'er clean, sounds like things are working pretty well otherwise. Even the best stove can't produce the best results with wet wood. What the sweeper got out seems to be about what I'd expect after burning 6 cords of hardwood mix. Keep in mind, sometimes those things will get exaggerated when being documented, as there are sometimes folks who will embellish facts like this to make sure they keep coming back to do more work.It's just like a stove dealer that immediately tells you to get rid of your "dangerous old stove" to sell you a new one.

Reactions: Fastdonzi
My flue pipe when needing to be cleaned always seems to get this hard, shiny-ish black coating on it.
You either have wet wood or to low exhaust gas temps. what stove are you burning?

that's why everyone recommends sweeping once a week or 2, or at least once a month
No not many recommend that at all most say once a year is fine with proper burning techniques.

Reactions: Fastdonzi
What the sweeper got out seems to be about what I'd expect after burning 6 cords of hardwood mix. Keep in mind, sometimes those things will get exaggerated when being documented, as there are sometimes folks who will embellish facts like this to make sure they keep coming back to do more work.
No a gallon sounds about right for 6 cords. As long as it was nice and dry there is no problem with that. And i dont see any reason why the sweep would lie and tell them that had allot of buildup but it was all nice and dry. He was doing things right just burnt allot of wood.

Reactions: Swedishchef
I just had my chimney cleaned. Last year was my first year with the Jotul F55. I know I should have had it checked during the season last year, but I didn't. Unfortunately I couldn't be home when the chimney was cleaned so I didn't get to talk to the guy or see what he found. His invoice says he found a gallon of "ash-like creosote".
I guess I have a couple of questions for everyone. First, is creosote ever "ash-like"? I thought it was sticky and tar-like. Second, is that a normal or "good" amount of stuff to find in your chimney after a season of full time burning? I burnt about six cords last year. (Yes, I know my house is a sieve).
Thanks in advance everyone.

If you search back on my older posts, you'll find photos of my "ash" that came out of my stove pipe. It's fine black stuff, just like baby powder. I think the occasional not hot enough fire, with a dash of marginal wood/short stack is my problem.

If you search back on my older posts, you'll find photos of my "ash" that came out of my stove pipe. It's fine black stuff, just like baby powder. I think the occasional not hot enough fire, with a dash of marginal wood/short stack is my problem.
Fine dry black powder is not really a problem either. You are burning wood you are going to get some buildup. Some stoves put less buildup in the chimney yes but as long as it is nice and dry and powdery you are doing pretty good. the fact that yours id black not brown or grey means you could do a little better but you are doing pretty good.

a gallon of "ash-like creosote".

That pretty well describes what I get when I sweep... very light and powdery, brownish in color, and VERY different from the gallons of shiny black hunks of crust I once got (and some of my friends still get) from burning wet wood in a non-EPA stove.

For a season's build up after 6 cords, I think that report is very reasonable. I'd be happy with that result. But even though you didn't talk to the sweep. you can still give him a call to get his input. I bet he says your chimney was LOTS better than many he's been doing.

Reactions: bholler
Thanks for all of the replies everyone. I'll give them a call next week to talk to them as well, but I heard what I was hoping to hear from all of you. Sounds like we're doing ok. Can't wait to start burning again!

Creosote remover powder/granules thrown into my hot coals helped change the thick tarry stuff into the chocolate powder you speak of. The stuff really works.

Status
Not open for further replies.