Ash of 2 Pellet Brands - Big Difference

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flysar

Dec 19, 2012
This is what I found in my ash pan this morning.

The lighter/fine ash is from "Golden Fire" pellets. I can run these for weeks before needing to clean my stove and burn pot is always clear.

The darker/coarse ash is from "Coastal Farm & Ranch" pellets. I need to clean my burn pot every bag or sooner or the ash debris plugs up my grate.

I was very surprised by the contrast and now have a better understanding of why the "Golden Fire" pellets burned cleaner.

What causes the difference in ash, they are supposedly both Douglas Fir products?

DSC_27592_zps62efe438.jpg

Ash content from one brand to the next can vary. The biggest difference is how clean the raw fiber is. The more bark and debri in the mix will cause a higher ash end result.

I have the same results between Stove chow (dark and ashy) and Turmans (light ash and burn with far less ash)

Status
Not open for further replies.