Ash Pan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

laynes69

Minister of Fire
Oct 2, 2006
Ashland OH
The bottom of my ash pan is getting holes in it from coal and wood. It is about 20 years old and of course the sides are solid. I know its a no no to have galvanized steel as a flue, but since I have some old duct work I was thinking of cutting a piece of galvanized sheet metal to line the bottom of the ash pan on my wood furnace. Since its always in the furnace, is there any thing to worry about if I do it? I don't get spillage or nothing like that from the furnace. I could make a new one, but I though maybe this would work.

Why not use the correct type of sheet metal? A metal fab shop might have some lying around and just give it to you. Doesn't hurt to ask. I've gotten small pieces of material this way before. Have someone tack weld it in there and call it done. I can't weld thin sheet for crap, and don't have a spot welder.

Or would it be possible just to use a few steel rivets? Just so the patch doesn't fall out. Not a pop rivet, but a real rivet.

Or maybe braze the sheet in?

-Kevin

I think you are all right since most heat rises and once ash fills in it insulates it from heat. Galv should not get that hot to burn off if it does then you know not to use it

Thats what I was figuring. Also some of my combustion air goes under there so this would help cool it a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.