Ash produced by Vermont vs. Okanagans

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stentor1

Jun 16, 2012
North of Boston
Assume relatively equal heat from Okies and Vermont Wood Pellets and assume acceptable prices for each. How much ash will three or four tons of each produce this winter?

I've burned both and it seemed that Vermont produced a little more heat and a lot more ash. I don't mind scraping ash from the burn box and heating pipes, but I am not eager to fill up the T pipe with ash before end of winter.

Okies have been very good for me even though they are more expensive. But I like having something from closer to home, Vermont. For me the deal decider will probably be whether I need to do major cleaning in the winter.

P.S.
I asked the forum for help finding Okies in my area (MA on NH border.) Thanks for your suggestions. I'll reply and wrap up that post after I buy my pellets.

hmmm.......okies: .0039 x 8000 = 31 lbs or so......Vermont? dont have the ash content of those, sorry. If it aint broke, dont fix it.And you should be doing a major cleaning in the winter....2-3 times....regardless of pellet, depending on stove, of course.

Once at summer's end the dealer does a cleaning - - emptying the "T pipe" and running a cleaning tool up and down the chimney. I'm a little concerned about that. There is little or no creosote but the T of the pipe coming out of the stove and into the chimney is full of ash. If it gets too full, could I get gas going back into the household living area? It's been seeral seasons and I've had no problems with a professional cleaning each year.

Once at summer's end the dealer does a cleaning - - emptying the "T pipe" and running a cleaning tool up and down the chimney. I'm a little concerned about that. There is little or no creosote but the T of the pipe coming out of the stove and into the chimney is full of ash. If it gets too full, could I get gas going back into the household living area? It's been seeral seasons and I've had no problems with a professional cleaning each year.
depends on your stove.....I am most familiar with Harmans, and with them, if the pipe clogs, youre stove wont feed, therefore, not run, therefore, no fire. Then, since you didnt clean your pipe, you blame your dealer for not telling you to clean the pipe, the pellet for being "too ashy", etc (heh :p)

Lousyweather is correct one of two things happen with a lot of ash in the area before the t and your stove, either there isn't enough air flow to produce the pressure difference needed to close the vacuum switch resulting in no fuel feed or if there is enough to close the switch there may not be enough to actually start a fire or if the fire does start the stove can go into over fire because of a slow exhaust air flow resulting in the stove shutting down.

What is likely to happen first depends on many factors some of which pertain to the actual stove that you have.

In the end the stove should shut down but like anything it is possible that if it isn't installed or maintained correctly it could continue burning which is what would result in dangerous amounts of bad things being released into your house if the flue got plugged.

If you are having your stove professionally cleaned more than the t and chimney need attention. In any event a pellet stove system needs a really good cleaning more frequently than once a season, it is more like once a ton.

Status
Not open for further replies.