Ash production WAY down...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ArsenalDon

Minister of Fire
Dec 16, 2012
Meadow Valley, CA
I am wondering what happened here...The first part of my first burn season I was emptying the ash pan out every other day...now it is down to once a week. Now...is this a clue? Crappy unseasoned wood the first part of the season and well seasoned wood now. Does under-seasoned wood cause more ash than seasoned wood? Was burning a lot of wood that was close to 25% early on, now all wood is about 11%.

You got it. You reload more often with wet wood, leaving more unburnt coals. Dry woods burns more quickly and thoroughly.

Seasoning doesn't affect the true ash content of wood, but as DanCorcoran says, unseasoned wood will leave a lot more coals mixed in with the ash than you'd get with well seasoned wood. Those coals could be burnt eventually so they aren't really ash (ash = the unburnable fraction of wood) but they can cause you to have to remove the accumulated small coals and ash more frequently.

Maybe you are getting better at running the stove so you're getting a more complete burn. Maybe now that it is warming up you are allowing the coals to burn longer before reloading, and that is reducing the buildup of coals and ash that you were previously. Another possibility is that you have changed to a different species of wood. Some woods have lower ash content than others.

Reactions: PapaDave
Another possibility is that you have changed to a different species of wood. Some woods have lower ash content than others.
did not know that..I am burning more cedar

Status
Not open for further replies.