ash question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BucksCoBernie

Feeling the Heat
Oct 8, 2008
Would too much ash in the firebox cause the stove to stay at a lower temp? for some reason my stove suddenly started to top out between 300-350* using the same wood as when i was reaching 450-500*+. I open the air full blast for about 15 mins to get the fire going and to char the splits, then close it half way for another 10 mins, then shut it to about 80% closed with the blower running. It took an hour for the blower to turn on this morning...usually takes 20-30 mins to reach auto blower temps. hmmm. the ash level is the only thing i can think of since i have a little more in there than i normally do before i shovel it out.

My stove seems to run better with an almost full ash pan. Could be you are having stormy weather with poor draft. Or different kind of wood or? Be safe.
Ed

Ash insulates the fire. Unless you physically have no room to add wood you shouldn't have a problem with a reasonable amount of ash.

I'd check for blockage in the flue.

Ash buildup in my stove reduces the heat output. I time the removal of ashes with the weather predictions.

How much ash we talking? 1/2" or 3-5"? 3-5 will effect the size of fire box, absorb the heat etc. Are you still getting good secondary burn?

I am not that far from you and I agree it is the weather.
There is tons of humidity/rain and it is not that cold mid to high 40's and very high wind.

well i emptied out the ash from the firebox, threw about 4-5 splits in and started a fire. its still only getting up to about 300*. same wood as before, with a small fire i used to be able to get to about 400-450* with the secondaries kicking in. i dont know, i hope its the weather. The liner was just installed 2 months ago with a cap so i dont think anything like a bird or something got in there to block it up. maybe if its not raining tomorrow ill take a look from the roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.