Ash Remval (when)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LSaupe

Dec 8, 2007
Southern Adirondacks NY
I am new to wood stove operation and have a question on ash removal. At what point shoudl the ashes be removed? I am running a continuous burn and have been emptying the ashes on a weekly basus (at which time I have accumulated about 3" worth of ash).

Is this too much, or not enough?

Thanks and Regards,

Larry S,

Depends on what works best for you. I like to keep about 1 inch in my fire box, others like to keep it clean so coals don't build up as much.

3" only means something if we know the size and model of stove. Is it about to pour out the door?

When it's really cold out, I take out some of the ash every morning from the hot stove. I use a coal hod for the ashes and it takes three days to fill the hod.

Not enough ash and the coals don't keep. Too much ash and it acts as insulation preventing the stove from putting out enough heat. In milder weather I will go a week or two between emtying the cold stove completely.

I burn your stove's sister, the Lopi Liberty. I like having ~ 1" bed of ashes in it. How often I have to remove ashes is a function of how hard I'm burning the stove, but rarely is it more often than every 3 or 4 days. Rick

In this cold weather, every morning after a long overnight burn. I remove enough ash to fill up about 1/2 of a 12 quart pail. All the ash is right up in front of the stove as this burns to ash before the coals in the back do. The secret is rake those coals forward during ever load. These hot coals will burn down to fine ash so you are not removing hot coals during ash removal.

I take a few scoops out every morning before reload because Vanessa said I should. :cheese:

my stove is a bit smaller, and its abot 2.5 inches from floor to door. I try to get a few scoops out every day so my wife doesnt end up with embers all over the hearth pad. on the weekend I'll empty 90% of it before getting the fire going in the morning.

BrotherBart said:
I take a few scoops out every morning before reload because Vanessa said I should. :cheese:

My wife told me I couldn't watch Vanessa anymore. :down: Rick

kenny chaos said:
fossil said:
BrotherBart said:

What web site is Vanessa on?

Woodstovesandlingerie.com

kenny chaos said:
fossil said:
BrotherBart said:

What web site is Vanessa on?

woodburningwomengonewild.com

Status
Not open for further replies.