Ash score!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OhioBurner©

Minister of Fire
Aug 20, 2010
Center of Ohio
This was desperately needed. I have no wood cut at all right now due to my wife and I having some problems starting last winter (I cut on her families farm). I also didn't want to buy wood and potentially have to move. But looks like I'm probably keeping the house, definitely until next year. Just bought a pellet burner so between that and some space heaters hope that will get me through this winter. Anyhow I couldn’t pass up this opportunity to start up next years supply- a fellow parent had some ash that was hit by EAB and finally decided to ask for help getting rid of it. Lucky me it hit me on my 2 week break! Unfortunately I didn't start in on it until last Thursday, and then couldn’t get over there over the weekend. So far I've spent 3 half days cutting. Plan to cut the rest of the week except for Sunday. Possible to cut a years supply in a little over a week? I might be able to come back at cut more later, but she has asked a few other people to come get it too and there is already a couple guys cleaning on the ash in the front yard :mad: so I have to act quick.

First load on my 6x10 trailer:
IMG_20140925_173802-800.jpg
^I believe thats most of 2 trees there

IMG_20140930_172147-800.jpg
^ 2 smaller trees in foreground, 1 large tree further back, also goes 15+ foot into woods.

IMG_20140930_172222-800.jpg
^ 2-3 trees there cut waiting to get loaded maybe tomorrow.

One problem is it hits me right at the end of my marathon training lol and I'm spending a lot of time running and the rest of the time I'm not suppose to be working out too hard and stressing myself doh! But not like I'm a competitive marathoner I'll be no where near close to even placing in my age group so not too worried! I may save a lot of the splitting until after the race. I did already split that first trailer load though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woody Stover
Awesome score! Load the truck up too!! Throw the liftable ones in the truck, use the trailer for the heavy rollers! Keep cutting and hauling as much as you can. You can never have too much. If worst comes to worst and you don't, or can't take it with you SELL it! Good luck on the marathon as well.

Reactions: OhioBurner©
You have competition, load truck and trailer, split later. Stop running on the road, run the rounds to the truck and run back to the next. win win

Nice score!!

Awesome score! Load the truck up too!! Throw the liftable ones in the truck, use the trailer for the heavy rollers!

Exactly. I have a 14' single axle trailer that I use for the easy-to-get-to stuff. Load the big guys on there and the throwable stuff in the truck bed.

Only reason the truck was empty was I was out of time so just loaded would I could the easiest. I'm used to fully loading tuck and trailer but I normally have a lot longer drive to the farm, and do go there very often.

Anyhow, finished cutting everything I had laying on the ground today and loaded up a full load. Still have half of the main trunk of that big ash to pick up and a dozen or so smaller rounds from another tree. The big ash I measured about 85' tall, and it was a few inches thicker than my 20" bar all the way up the main section of trunk. There are a few bigger ones, but they still have some leaves on em so leaving those be.

IMG_20141001_152010-600.jpg
Yeah before the correct police speak up I know I was a bit overweight ^ was riding just a tiny bit lower than when I hauled 2T of pellets a couple days ago, but very close to same.

IMG_20141001_162958-800.jpg

My back is about done. And arms.

Last edited:
Reactions: nmcqueen469
Well spent about a whole day yesterday working on it. At least a whole school day - dropped my son off at school with the truck and drove over the the woods, and cut until I had to go pick my son back up. Got all the rest of the big peices of the larger ash loaded, and some of the outher rounds I had back from day 1-2, and then fell 3 more trees (medium-ish sized) including the one leaner I asked about in the other thread. Got the leaner and the one right next to it all bucked to size and about half loaded, and the 3rd tree I just barely started bucking.

Today is a much needed day off, both from wood cutting and running. I ran tues-wed-thur 6-8-4 miles each day and planning on a similar run tomorrow and then a 20-24 mile long run Sunday. Worked out perfectly since its raining today.

Yesterday load:
IMG_20141002_155610-800.jpg

I'm not going to stack the truck full any more that takes too much work, and for a short drive not worth it. Easier to just make another trip. And not pushing the load limit of the truck is probably better for it anyhow I tend to overload it a but much ::-)

That's a good days work!!

Yeah before the correct police speak up I know I was a bit overweight ^ was riding just a tiny bit lower than when I hauled 2T of pellets a couple days ago, but very close to same.

At least you have the right truck for the job. :) The Super Duty can handle that no problem. I don't even think twice about loading mine up to the top of the cab.

This was all oak.

Seems that exact terms are often used around here, can anyone tell which type of Ash these are? I looked up some basic info, looks like White, Green, Black, and Blue are found in Ohio. Seems most likely White or Green and not sure if I can tell the difference. Especially since the leaves are pretty well all gone (except for some nearby live ones). One description I read says White Ash is most common here and prefers upland / dry conditions, wheras Green Ash is found more alonf poorly drained soils, streams, wet woods. These were all growing along a drainage path through woods (drains the nearby field) though it was currently dry (well a bit damp and muddy at the bottom but no water to be seen anywhere).

Looks like White to me, although I'm not familiar with the others. I think the bark on the others is different. White is by far the best according to the btu charts....almost as good as Red Oak.

Nice score, love the Ash!! Like was previously stated, that Ford can handle it ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.