Ash today is black, normally gray.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

briggsy13

Sep 19, 2011
Maryland
So I emptied the stove out last night. Put in a bag of Hamers (on top of around 2 bags of either Stove Chow or Old Dominions) and ran it on 3 last night. I just cleaned it out and the ash from last night is black. LIke black black. Our ash has always been a light gray color. Is this just from the different pellets? We have burned all of them before and never had ash like this.
Also I didn't empty the burn pot yesterday when I emptied it out I just brushed the ash off around it and emptied the ash pan. It was full of ash and chunks today. I've never seen it like that before either.

DAKSY said:
Sounds like incomplete combustion to me...

I'm still a newbie, so what would cause that? the incomplete combustion part, not the me being a newbie :)

briggsy13 said:
DAKSY said:

I'm still a newbie, so what would cause that? the incomplete combustion part, not the me being a newbie :)

Too much fuel feed for the air setting or too little air for the fuel feed setting.

What you do depends upon what you can adjust and when adjusting you do it in small steps and wait for the stove to stabilize at the new burn settings.

If you don't do it slowly you can walk right past the proper setting and have other burn related issues.

It is also possible that the stove/venting needs a good cleaning.

SmokeyTheBear said:
briggsy13 said:
DAKSY said:

Too much fuel feed for the air setting or too little air for the fuel feed setting.

What you do depends upon what you can adjust and when adjusting you do it in small steps and wait for the stove to stabilize at the new burn settings.

If you don't do it slowly you can walk right past the proper setting and have other burn related issues.

It is also possible that the stove/venting needs a good cleaning.[/quote

hubby is supposed to do a 1 ton cleaning this weekend.

briggsy13 said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
briggsy13 said:
DAKSY said:

ROTFLMAO

I see, blame it on the hubby.

SmokeyTheBear said:
briggsy13 said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
briggsy13 said:
DAKSY said:

ROTFLMAO

I would do it, but you can imagine he wants to be the one to see how much yuck comes out of it. I think he's looking forward to it. Can you imagine ;)

briggsy13 said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
briggsy13 said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
briggsy13 said:
DAKSY" date="1325804728 said:

ROTFLMAO

I would do it, but you can imagine he wants to be the one to see how much yuck comes out of it. I think he's looking forward to it. Can you imagine ;)

Ah, I see another sicko, why isn't he on here with the rest of us?

SmokeyTheBear said:
briggsy13 said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
briggsy13 said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
briggsy13" date="1325805051 said:
DAKSY" date="1325804728 said:

ROTFLMAO

Ah, I see another sicko, why isn't he on here with the rest of us?

He's around, he lurks mostly!!! But he's always saying "did you see on Hearth?" He's a sicko!!!! :)

Was wondering, couldnt the black ash be from poor quality pellets? Since the start of the season i've had black/greyish ash. I' ve been burning southern indiana hardwoods and burned bout a ton. Just wondering.

briggsy13 said:
So I emptied the stove out last night. Put in a bag of Hamers (on top of around 2 bags of either Stove Chow or Old Dominions) and ran it on 3 last night. I just cleaned it out and the ash from last night is black. LIke black black. Our ash has always been a light gray color. Is this just from the different pellets? We have burned all of them before and never had ash like this.
Also I didn't empty the burn pot yesterday when I emptied it out I just brushed the ash off around it and emptied the ash pan. It was full of ash and chunks today. I've never seen it like that before either.

When was the last time you cleaned the stove? Hard to believe the Hamers caused this.

JoeS said:
briggsy13 said:

When was the last time you cleaned the stove? Hard to believe the Hamers caused this.

it wouldn't be the Hamers, they went in on top of 2 other bags that were already in there. We've only been burning about a bag a day so it wouldn't even have got to them yet. (120 lb hopper) It was cleaned (vacuumed, burn pot scraped) Monday afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.