Ash Tree disaster

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dondude

Dec 7, 2007
marine city mi
Hate to say it but my ash trees finally bit the dust this summer. Ash borer has killed about 200 ash trees in my front yard!! Thank god back woods are all oak. Silver lining I've got lots of ash to feed my wood stove.

Here in Wisconsin we are getting the double whammy.Oak wilt and Ash borer. But the wood pile is full of both.

Everytime I look out front I tell my wife I can't believe all those trees are dead. What a shame. Gotta get in gear and plant some new trees.

Yep, dead ash tree's everywhere in this state. If you need a hand cutting I'll work for wood. :)

I have 3 decent size ones in my yard that need to come down and who knows how many small ones.

Damn bummed myself out. Frickin Bugs. Well always got the lions and tigers to cheer me up. Lol

dondude said:
Damn bummed myself out. Frickin Bugs. Well always got the lions and tigers to cheer me up. Lol

:lol:

I'm not looking forward to seeing that bug move here. It's in the western part of Pa but hasn't made it over here yet. All indications are it's coming though. :-(
pen

pen said:
I'm not looking forward to seeing that bug move here. It's in the western part of Pa but hasn't made it over here yet. All indications are it's coming though. :-(
pen

There is no stopping it, I just hope when they're done with the ash tree's they don't pick another tree to kill.

pen said:
pen

We have a few dead from them where i am at in PA. I am just south of Allentown. so its coming.

Saw something about oak wilt a few weeks ago on the news. That was the first I had ever heard about it, and they showed the effects in a persons front yard. I guess its not widespread here yet.

dondude said:

What about Da Bears? I only have them. The Cubs and Sox sucked wind this year. :-S

Sorry to hear that 200 trees that's a shame

Don -

Sorry about the tree loss. I've been cutting quite a few in Macomb County. They are nice firewood. I've set aside some straight knot-less sections to rive for tool handles.

All the best,
Mike

Don, I feel your pain. Ours started dying several years ago. Some are still alive....but barely. So guess what we are cutting for firewood. Ya, it hurts as we had some dandy trees too. We did make some lumber from some and sold some but most will just go for firewood.

Around this area one can take a drive around and it is amazing how many dead trees you see, especially along the small rivers and creeks and lowlands. Either ash or elm as they both are dying. A shame to see so much wood going to waste too. There is a lot of heat there that nobody will ever get the benefit from.

On the good side, it does make good fire wood. Might just as well look at it on the good side. However, when it comes to the Lions.....

sorry to hear about your loss don. i have that problem as well. just need to plant more and keep your chin up, good luck bud!

We had many purple bat house looking things go up on ash trees along the back roads of at least three counties that I know of.
It was finally disclosed that they were ash borer traps.
Whether they found any or not I'm sure but that was more millions well spent. Another WTF project.

They've been putting them up in Minnesota too and I think in Wisconsin. Too late here.

I'd still be stoked that I had a front yard big enough to have 200 trees. I really am amazed at the size of land plots that all y'all have.

Status
Not open for further replies.