Ash tree had to go

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Beer Belly

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2011
Connecticut
I've been putting it off too long. Finally had it taken down before it caused damage, good thing because we just had a very windy Friday night that likely would of been an issue. I was told it was an Ash, also told it could be Tulip ?. Either way, had it cut to woodstove length, will S/S this spring, ready by next Fall hopefully.

Ash Tree 1.jpg Ash Tree 2.jpg Ash Tree.jpeg

Had a Green Ash that I had dug up on the river close to our place 40 yrs ago. Turned out to be a beautiful shade tree. It ended up getting Ash Yellows and I had to take it down also. Hated to loose that tree. It once helped cool our yard during the hot summers here in Kansas. Now it is keeping our house warm as we speak. Looks like your tree also had Ash Yellows.
I really like how trees benefit mankind.

Looks like ash. Good firewood I burned a bunch last night.

I’d get those rounds up off the ground if you aren’t planning on splitting until the spring.

Definitely an Ash. Those trees only hold about 40% moisture compared to other species, even less during the winter when trees are ''dormant.'' CS and S now, and the splits should have a favorable moisture reading in a few weeks. Especially stacked in prevailing winds.

I have learned taking down trees in the winter, is ideal harvest time for firewood.

Green Ash for sure. Usually when it "witches broom" out like that it's done. Surprised it even did that with the bark peeling off already.

When the tree company dropped the branches, it shattered like glass. If we get a dry weekend, a little warm up, I may try a few rounds, depends on how my Back feels......need at least two fusion, Spinal Stenosis, bulging Discs causing issues.

It sounds like you have lived up to your signature, BB. Feel better!

Reactions: Beer Belly
We need to see end grain. Get out there and buck some rounds. 😏

It sounds like you have lived up to your signature, BB. Feel better!
I still have one shoulder that is healthy.....sort of, so body is not "thoroughly used up"......every other joint has had some sort of surgery. The Back scares me, one slip of the knife could be trouble.

Last edited: