Ash v Oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The living white ash I've been cutting has an MC of 30% when freshly cut and will be about right with 6 months of spring/summer seasoning.
Joe

TreePointer said:
A lot of folks have a misconception about ash, IMO. Yes, green (freshly cut) ash will burn like no other freshly cut wood can, but that's not saying much. It will hiss and steam a lot. I'll take any seasoned wood over it, even poplar and pine.

Just to explore the truth of the firewood poem, I've experimented with burning white ash at various lengths of seasoning. I purposely set them in an open firepit to watch and listen. At a minimum, I'd recommend one full summer c/s/s in my area for seasoning. Even better is a whole year c/s/s. It does not require 2 years for full seasoning like oak.

I'm with you on this one!!

About 1/2 of my wood for this season is Ash. Some cut and split October '09, the rest January '10. From what I am reading here, I should be in good shape. I am still working my way through a mix of (soft?) Maple and Cherry right now. If this cold and wind keeps up, I may skip ahead to the Ash and save the Cherry/Maple for spring shoulder season. What do you all think about that plan?

cptoneleg said:
CTYank said:
What is "VSF"?

Ash historically has been seen as emergency fuel by farmers here in Yankeeland and nearby. It can be left on the stump until the c/s/s piles are gone, then be cut and burned NOW to keep things from freezing.

As freshly cut, it's far superior to oaks in the region. Once seasoned and air-dry, it's far inferior, due to the low fiber density.

When cutting ash, your chain had best be razor-sharp, and will accumulate coating that looks like caramel. It's that dry.

Makes great flooring and furniture. Too bad the Emerald Ash Borer is wiping out whole stands.

Help me here , I have ash stacked about three months now checked it the other day mc 30% you saing burn it now before it seasons??????

Absolutely not, if you can wait.

I was simply pointing out the RELATIVE fuel-wood value of ash & oak, and how they flip-flop with seasoning & drying.

When green, ash is much the better of the two; when both are air-dried, oak is.

Ash's low moisture content on the stump make it like fuel in the tank, if your prepared supply runs out.

polaris said:
The living white ash I've been cutting has an MC of 30% when freshly cut and will be about right with 6 months of spring/summer seasoning.
Joe

30%? Wow, that's very low. I never actually measured any of mine, just going by tables I have at my disposal. No wonder it burns so well green. I'm supposed to be getting some fresh cut next week some time. I'll be sure to re-split several pieces and take MM readings right away for comparison.

Flatbedford said:
About 1/2 of my wood for this season is Ash. Some cut and split October '09, the rest January '10. From what I am reading here, I should be in good shape. I am still working my way through a mix of (soft?) Maple and Cherry right now. If this cold and wind keeps up, I may skip ahead to the Ash and save the Cherry/Maple for spring shoulder season. What do you all think about that plan?

Because I'm a tightwad when it comes to wood, I'd continue to burn the worst stuff I had right now. Despite the fact we've all been clamoring about this 'cold snap', it really ain't that bad. Speaking only for myself, we have been keeping warm quite easily here.

And don't get me wrong, I'd trade any Ash for an equal volume of Oak. The oak is that much better. But when it comes to nearly immediatly going VSF (visually smoke free) though having only been severed from the stump within the past 6 weeks, this Ash can't be beaten.

Battenkiller said:
polaris said:
Joe

30%? Wow, that's very low. I never actually measured any of mine, just going by tables I have at my disposal. No wonder it burns so well green. I'm supposed to be getting some fresh cut next week some time. I'll be sure to re-split several pieces and take MM readings right away for comparison.

Wow my white Ash must have really been Living been locked up 90 days and still blowing 30% but will check tommorow and see .

Cpt.

I would take white ash over red oak any day for the simple reason that is dries so much faster. Look at your BTU charts boys, the BTU content on White Ash is not much lower then red oak... If memory serves me correctly (have not looked at a chart in a long time) red oak is around 26 million btu per cord and ash is 23.... For that matter I prefer beech and hard maple over red oak also... oak is a royal pain in the arse. Needs to be seasoned at least 2 years imo...

White Ash is at least 35% on the stump and does not burn that well green unless you are comparing it to other wetter green woods, and it is much closer to the Oaks than some of you are giving it credit for. I have some White Ash trees that need to be cut down and I will bet dollars to dog turds the wood will not burn worth a crap in an EPA stove.

I'll take that bet. It does not burn the best going from living to the stove in a week(think near wide open primary air for the 1st. 20-40 min.) but will still burn better than red oak only seasoned 1 year. When dealing with an illness a few years back I heated all season with 3 month old white ash. I had 4 cords of 10 month old red oak that was unburnable. MC content in living ash can fluctuate according to what time of year it is cut.
Joe

polaris said:
I'll take that bet. It does not burn the best going from living to the stove in a week(think near wide open primary air for the 1st. 20-40 min.) but will still burn better than red oak only seasoned 1 year. When dealing with an illness a few years back I heated all season with 3 month old white ash. I had 4 cords of 10 month old red oak that was unburnable. MC content in living ash can fluctuate according to what time of year it is cut.
Joe
Well I can go cut some right now and try it but my stove likes dry wood, might be fun trying it though, red oak sucks if not dry, I did say unless you are comparing it to greener woods with more moisture. Do you have an EPA stove? Green Ash is going to burn a lot better than the White Ash because it is a less dense wood.

I burn an Oslo and a Castine and while far from ideal(unseasoned white ash) it will suffice in a pinch, better than any other hardwood I know of and better than most unseasoned soft woods.
Joe

I burn an Oslo and a Castine and while far from ideal(unseasoned white ash) it will suffice in a pinch, better than any other hardwood I know of and better than most unseasoned soft woods.
Joe

polaris said:
Joe
I think we are saying the same thing just looking at it from different views, best green wood out there is ash by far.

Easy on the Oak, who cares about the green wood, I want the best 'DRY' wood as possible, if I have to stack up years ahead well then so be it.

Anyone notice a difference in white vs red Oak? I have both seasoning, but will be some time before I'll be able to experiment.

Stump_Branch said:
Anyone notice a difference in white vs red Oak? I have both seasoning, but will be some time before I'll be able to experiment.

Save tyhe White for the -15 °F Nights.

Oh! Sheetz!! Yer from MD? You don't need any White. I'll trade you some Aspen for that white. 'Cause I'm helpful like that :cheese:

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Stump_Branch said:

Save tyhe White for the -15 °F Nights.

Oh! Sheetz!! Yer from MD? You don't need any White. I'll trade you some Aspen for that white. 'Cause I'm helpful like that :cheese:

hahaha, this place has some of the greatest hardwoods. And MD is the worst place to be a forecaster, we have down right balmy summers, loads of humidity. Winter time you could swear you are located many degrees latitude north. (I am originally from western PA) They have a saying here, if you dont like that weather, wait a minute, it changes that fast.
And I would trade anything for seasoned wood right now. I have maybe a half a face cord left, of poplar and oak 'bits'.

Stump_Branch said:
I would trade anything for seasoned wood right now. I have maybe a half a face cord left, of poplar and oak 'bits'.

Reminds me of 'Blues Brothers' movie . . . "How mucha for ya wife?"

J/K

We were just outside OC for two days this past summer during that 'heat wave'. I would die or kill someone if I lived in that heat every day :long:

Check out baltimore's murder rate....youll know why I live an hour outside of the city, of course I work in the heart of it so the drive sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.