Ash Vac or Shop Vac

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Loveless hot ash vac for the fast daily cleaning. ( Don't worry about the stove being cool.)

Use a small ( but powerful ) shop vac with hepa filter for monthly cleaning and cleaning the flue pipe.

Discussions on shop vacs vs. hot ash vacs on this forum are kind of like discussions about gun control, birth control, and religion. Plenty of verbage and strong feelings, and very few minds ever get changed.

Go with what you can afford, either will work, but if it is a shop vac, be sure the stove and ashes are cooled sufficiently.

Ranger

I use a shop vac with a drywall filter for my weekly cleanings.

I always thought that a ashvac was overkill but I've been looking at stoves other than my St. Croix and I guess you really need one of those buggers if you don't have any way to clean the firepot everyday.

Shop vac. I usually leave enough pellets in it to run part way into the day. It runs out a few hours before i get home from work and is all cool. Then my almost 3 son shows me what to do to clean it. If i forget anything, he reminds me.

nksdad2007 said:
Shop vac. I usually leave enough pellets in it to run part way into the day. It runs out a few hours before i get home from work and is all cool. Then my almost 3 son shows me what to do to clean it. If i forget anything, he reminds me.
Smart ass kids...

krooser said:
nksdad2007 said:
Smart ass kids...

I told the wife, if anything happens to me, just bring up the shop vac for him and he will clean it.

Loveless Ash vac.
No idea if it is the Cougar or Cheetah as I got it at a yard sale some years ago.

I heard they both suck ash.

j-takeman said:
cat900 said:
I use a shop vac with a hepa filter and it works great.

X2 Used this for over 10 years now. No issues!
+3, but i alkways pre-test my vac on the customers porch, just to be safe
in 13yrs i have had a filter blow dust into the customers home a time or two

I have both. The ash vac is "quieter" model - I believe the cougar. It is quieter than my old sears shop vac - 20 years and still going strong.

I use the ash vac for cleaning our insert and the shop vac for cleaning the boiler after it has cooled.

I have the cheata i think... it's loud as hell. Ear plugs are almost a requirement.

when using a shop vac, just make sure its 100% out. while you should do the same with any cleaning device, being in a metal canister is a bit safer than in a plastic one should it catch fire inside.

This thread really sucks :)

I have a cheetah ash vac and love it. But like Scott W I'm deaf from using it. Least that's what I'm trying to get my wife to think :D

cheetah ash vac worth the investment. you can suck up hot ash no problem or worries.I am already deaf from all the concerts i go to anyways so it don't seem to be loud to me

I use the Loveless Ash Vac, I have a shop vac with a drywall filter but I just find that for me personally, I prefer the Ash Vac because I never have to change the filter, maybe Im lazy I dont know but once in a while I'll just take the top off the Ash Vac and take it out and shake it good tap it a few times by hand, and its good to go again for a long time. Also I never worry about hot ashes as the Loveless filters are fire retardant and the vac itself is steel .

A shop vac and a hepa filter or drywall filter will do the job, just be sure your ashes are cold or you could be in for an unpleasant event. The shop vac filter will clog up much faster and need to be changed often. Still cheaper though its your choice.

smwilliamson said:
WHAAAAAAAAAT'S THAAAAAAAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU WITH THE ASH VAC RUNNING!!! WHAAAAAAAT?

Yea, I use the Loveless Ash Vac because I didn't want to burn my house down after making the inevitable mistake of sucking up hot ash but OMG, THE THING IS SOOOO LOUD I have to wait until the wife goes out to use it. It screams! But it works. :)

Wood Heat Stoves said:
j-takeman said:
cat900 said:

X3, but i always pre-test my vac on the customers porch, just to be safe

X4. I too, had a filter fail in a customer's home. Library with 10ft ceilings. Great.

Wood Heat Stoves said:
j-takeman said:
cat900 said:

x4 Especially after you have to bring it outside to empty it. The ever embarrassing poof! When you start it back up. And they always have white rugs.... Best to do a quick start up outside.

I use a Ridgid mid-sized shop vac w/ HEPA filter and fits disposable bags. Use an elec leaf blower to suck out the flue and stove crannies from the outside.

smwilliamson said:
Wood Heat Stoves said:
j-takeman said:
cat900 said:

x4 Especially after you have to bring it outside to empty it. The ever embarrassing poof! When you start it back up. And they always have white rugs.... Best to do a quick start up outside.

My install is in the basement so if a little blows by the hepa no biggie. But "knock on wood" I haven't had any issues with my hepa yet! I have done some cleaning for friends. I always add a drywall bag along with the hepa to be sure I don't make a mess. Adding the bag just add extra protection.

One friend has the cheata. I use his from and Its neat being able to just shut the stove down for a bit . Not waiting for an hour or so to do the cleaning. Some day I will get one. Kind of waiting for the shop vac to crap out, But it just keeps working. So? Maybe this season????

nksdad2007 said:

This is my method too... without the child to help. ;)

Ash vac works good for us, but probably would not spend the money to buy again. Had to turn to the shop vac when we were waiting for new filters for the Cheetah and it too worked fine. Much cheaper all the way around with the shop vac!

Status
Not open for further replies.