Ash Vac or Shop Vac

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My dealer has a Lennox burning in his store right next to the front door. Last fall I was watching one of the employees do a daily cleaning... she used an ash-vac and as soon as the flame died down she opened the door she vac'd out the ash, and fired it up again.... maybe a total of 60 seconds.

Of course I'd never do that with a shop vac but I did se where an ash-vac would come in handy to use like that.

I have a $10.00 one gallon Shop-Vac that I use...

I am currently using a shop vac, but if you suck up an ember, its almost a guarantee that you just ruined a filter and get a house full of smoke. I've had embers even after the stove was off for over a day. This year, I'm going to try to rig up a firefighters nomex hood over the filter to provide better flame resistance. Military surplus ones can be bought fairly cheaply. Here is the one I bought, I think it was around $6 total shipped. http://cgi.ebay.com/Nomex-PBI-ANTIF..._Security_Fire_Protection&hash=item43a1fef649

Here is one with a lower buy it now price: http://cgi.ebay.com/MILITARY-ARMY-S...073?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item335e0b1691

I used a small shop vac with HEPA filter for the first couple of years. I found the ash was still making a mess (low wife acceptance factor). The filter clogged quickly, which necessitated opening the shop vac outside, removing the filter and knocking the ash off of it. That made a mess so I had to trudge out pretty far from the house (I utilized a rock wall in the yard). For this season I purchased a Cheetah II ash vacuum. The ability to vacuum warm ash is nice, but I like even more the ability to clean the ash off the filter without opening the unit. I'll have a more informed opinion after I use it a while this season.

I used the shop vac in the beginning with the filter. Worked for a while but all in all was rather dirty and had fine ash in the house. That being said with the chance of using a shop vac and having any embers burning still i went with the ash vac and it was money well spent. Cleaner and no chance of burning down the house. This subjest has been brought up before. ;-)

I have used a shop vac for a few years with a drywall bag and it worked well, but I always waited a long time for the stove to cool down before vacuuming the stove for fear of burning the house down. So I broke down and bought a Cougar Ash Vac (Love-Less) yesterday, it was on sale from Amazon.com for $208.00 figured it was time to get one. Thinking that its worth having the right tool, and peace of mind that it wont catch on fire!

Rather than deal with the 'boss' about fine ash around the house even if it didn't come from the shop vac, I bought the ash vac. It works great and one added advantage is that I can't hear a word the 'boss' is saying over the scream of the vacuum. That alone was worth the money!!!!!!! Too bad I can't keep it running.

tjnamtiw said:
Rather than deal with the 'boss' about fine ash around the house even if it didn't come from the shop vac, I bought the ash vac. It works great and one added advantage is that I can't hear a word the 'boss' is saying over the scream of the vacuum. That alone was worth the money!!!!!!! Too bad I can't keep it running.

Haha, the 'boss' thinks there will be way less ash as well....She's the one who told me to buy it!
"Happy Wife Happy Life"

Status
Not open for further replies.