Ash Vac problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bbfarm

Minister of Fire
Jan 2, 2012
wisconsin
Our ash vac (Hearth Country) is spewing ash out the exhaust port.

We have used the air compressor to blow off the filter and unit.

I did notice a small tear in the filter, so we bought new filters.

there was a gap between the filters and base but we got it tighter and it seems ok now but I still think this is where the leak is.

I want to run a bead of caulk there to seal it. It should peal right off to change filter again. The Mr does not want me to do this.

any other suggestions?

We never had any problems with the vac until we used those cheap ashy pellets this fall.

We never had any problems with the vac until we used those cheap ashy pellets this fall.
If your ash vac is spewing ash around the house, regardless of whether you are burning great pellets, mid grade pellets, lousy pellets, or even Infernos, your ash vac should not be spewing. This is not a pellet issue, it is a vac issue. When your ashes are "spewing", it is because there is a breach in your filtration system somewhere. It will be tough for anyone here to pinpoint where your breach is because we are not at your house (at least we shouldn't be!)
Look it over really well and I'm willing to bet that you will find it. Check all fabric filters, disposable filters, hose clamps and any other fastening devices. Check them well...really well...and let us know.

That Hearth Country ash vacuum is one of the biggest pieces of junk I've ever had the misfortune of spending 150 dollars on.
Nothing that you will do will help this piece of crap out to make it better, trust me. I was replacing HEPA filters (at 20 dollars per each) after just 2 or 3 uses because the filter is so undersized that it would plug up instantly.
How do you like that worthless joke of a spring-loaded plastic knob "filter shaker"? It's laughable at best.

Here's a link to a thread of discussion on ash vacs and what I had to say about the Hearth Country a few weeks ago. You'll notice that board member St_Earl also had issues with his.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/ash-vacuum-recommendation.99987/

Also, look at my signature.

Buyer beware....BIGTIME.

OH, also, I forgot.....the friggin thing would overheat and trip itself on thermal cut-off after just a few minutes use. JUNK.

Status
Not open for further replies.