Ash vacuum great price just bought one

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the PS must have a drywall type filter in it. if so, that's what's making it work well. you can put a drywall filter on any shop vac for 15 bucks. still not seeing

the PS must have a drywall type filter in it. if so, that's what's making it work well. you can put a drywall filter on any shop vac for 15 bucks. still not seeing
why a another vac is needed.

Anyone find a decent ash vac at a box store? Or are they just a waste of money from them?
Home Depot sales the vac I just ordered.

still not seeing why a another vac is needed.
An ash vac is specifically designed for ashes. It is made of metal, has a metal hose, and a fire resistant washable reusable filter. A shop vac does not and a paper drywall filter could very easily catch fire in the off chance an ember is mistakenly sucked in. In the fine print of most shop vacs they tell you not to use them on ashes......to me worth every penny of $60.

An ash vac is specifically designed for ashes. It is made of metal, has a metal hose, and a fire resistant washable reusable filter. A shop vac does not and a paper drywall filter could very easily catch fire in the off chance an ember is mistakenly sucked in. In the fine print of most shop vacs they tell you not to use them on ashes......to me worth every penny of $60.
has anyone ever sucked up a hot coal to see what would happen?

I suspect it wouldn't be an issue. Aren't ash vacs designed to vacuum hot ash? I always assumed they were, given they're all made out of metal and usually have no plastic.

Back when I had the plumbing and heating business I would service boiler's and furnaces all the time while hot some of them being coal boilers. I used a Sid Harvey 5gal sweeper (the thing weighed a ton and helped fore arm tone after carrying it down basement steps all winter !!! ) but never an issue or a confirmed "hot coal".

I got the vacuum today and used it tonight.
The thing works great, I am impressed that $90 vacuum works this well, and as said before the brush/crevis tool is a must have !
Thanks guys for providing info that helped me to make a good purchase.:cool:

Yup, the PowerSmith is well worth the money and I too use it often. More than once a week. I do a good clean on the PB105 every Saturday and the little vacuum works flawlessly pumping NO dust into the cellar keeping the wife happy. My shop vac did the opposite. Dust in -- more dust out!!

Reactions: Rhody PJ
Picked up a powersmith at Benny's yesterday for 69.99...great litlle vacuum.

I suspect it wouldn't be an issue. Aren't ash vacs designed to vacuum hot ash? I always assumed they were, given they're all made out of metal and usually have no plastic.
don't they warn against sucking up hot ashes? so if you can't suck up hot ash and you could use a shop vac for 1/4 the cost with a drywall filter and do the same job, what value is here?

don't they warn against sucking up hot ashes? so if you can't suck up hot ash and you could use a shop vac for 1/4 the cost with a drywall filter and do the same job, what value is here?

They can warn you all they want but it happens. The PowerSmith has a washable burn resistant filter and if the thing gets too hot, as in when you suck up embers, the motor shuts down. To each their own but at the price and with extra filters costing just ten bucks if you ever need one, I love this thing.

Reactions: Rhody PJ
For me I always let my pellet stove cool down a while anyway, so I can get behind the baffle for cleaning. Hot ashes are rarely a concern, though I am a safety freak. Keeping the dust down is bigger a concern.

these days i remove the greatest bulk of the ash manually with a thin flat piece of sheet metal as a dust pan and place it in the metal bucket from the crappy ash vac i bought at tsc.
this speeds the cooling process to effectively zero time and allows me to be able to visually examine the remaining (very) small pile of ash for any embers.
i just use my ancient shop vac. i cobbled together an extended hose so i can set the vac out on the enclosed front porch to keep the dust out of the house.
it works out since the front door is right there near the stove.
the vac is so old they don't make a hepa filter to fit it. but even w/ just a paper filter over the foam filter, the dust escaping is very minimal.

ps- never ever buy this (absolute piece of shite) ash vac -
$(KGrHqV,!rYE88g6(LOVBPf1buRSLw~~60_35.JPG

it's not only anemically weak, but the motor overheats and shuts down if you run it more than a few minutes at a time. this is confirmed by at least one other board member who bought the same vac as me.

Last edited:
This cheapie from HD works just as good.....
30.00 vrs 79.00..
I prefer it due to small 2 gallon size.
don't like haulin a 5 gallon from the basement for the small
amount of pellet stove ash..
sock catches any and all dust..
and yes, I do wait till embers have died out.

Attachments

• IMG_1964.JPG
    IMG_1964.JPG
    228.5 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
Reactions: jlupi
I will use my ash vac about every 10 bags or so to do a very quick cleanout of the ashes around the burnpot and vacuum out the ash pan too all without shutting the stove down. I've been doing this ever since the stove was installed with zero problems.

ps- never ever buy this (absolute piece of shite) ash vac -
it's not only anemically weak, but the motor overheats and shuts down if you run it more than a few minutes at a time. this is confirmed by at least one other board member who bought the same vac as me.

St-Earl,
Thanks for the review. I'm sure you saved others some grief.

Hubby built a water filter, for between the shop vac, and stove for our daughter.
She is stilled told to wait until the stove is "cold"....but the shop vac filter, still looks like new.

He has one on his sandblasting cabinet - that used to be notorious, for eating a shop vac a year.

Just ordered one. I have hated using my little shop vac for the stoves, but couldn't see paying 100 for an ash vac. 60 with free shipping though is up my ally. Thanks ion for bringing this back up and letting us know they are back on sale!

If you can get to their store tomorrow they are going to sell pellets for $3.59 a bag!

Status
Not open for further replies.