Ash vacuum or not?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cielomelo

Oct 19, 2007
north shore,ma
Hi again, after owning a Quad pellet stove insert, we have to do our first weekly cleaning. Is it really necessary to purchase a special ash vacuum or can we use the wet/dry vacuum?

Another question is my Mt.Vernon Quadra pellet insert, it says the hopper has the capacity to hold 52 lbs of pellets, but I can't even put a 40lb bag of pellets in the hopper. Has anybody else had this problem?

Thanks for all the wisdom.

i have a loveless ash vac, after using a wet/dry , with a drywall bag for a while, i wouldnt go back to the wet dry, although the wetdry did ok, i was always worried about sucking up a little ember and catching the vac on fire, so i let the stove set for a while before cleaning it out, with an ash vac you dont have that worry, althouigh its not made for cleaning out a running stove, an occasional ember will not damage it or catch it on fire.

There are a number of posts on cleaning ash out, I have a $12 pail (maybe 5 gal?) with locking lid from Lowes . . takes me 5 mins each week, I vacuumed out maybe 4 times in last year . .embers took out one of my garbage cans so I am pretty cautious, eventually going to get a large metal garbage can and just let it sit until my wife wants to use in garden

I think maybe ?MountainStoveGuy has a homemade vac set up

Status
Not open for further replies.