Ash vacuum

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Only if you don't mind breathing ash dust, and blowing it all over the room. One cure would be to use a loooong hose and have the motor/tank assembly outside.

Yeah, fill house with ash and probably ruin the vacuum motor.

I use a Powersmith ash vac and I don't empty near as often as I should, but it never clogs up. Maybe you need a different ash vac. Powersmiths were $69 at Ocean State Job Lot last time I was in there.

Reactions: AGPNY
Do I really need to use a filter in my ash vacuum? Seems like the filter gets full quick and doesnt let the vacuum suck up the ash

Stupid is as stupid does....................WHY DO YOU THINK THEY MADE THE FILTER ??????????????

Take the oil filter off your car as well..................SAVES MONEY HONEY.

bob

Do I really need to use a filter in my ash vacuum? Seems like the filter gets full quick and doesnt let the vacuum suck up the ash
You're kidding right ?

I have the Power Smith as well and it doesn't clog.

The reason it plugs so fast is the very reason it is there. It catches the very fine particulate matter from blowing into your home. I've thought about running a course filter inside the vac, and then putting an automotive filter on the blower side. That way the fine particulate would be inside the automotive filter and make it easier to change without spilling any. Have'nt done it yet though.

I use the power smith ash vac. I tap it on the floor a couple times before each use to drop some of the sticky fines from the filter. I can tell when it needs dumped when there is no difference in motor speed from when I start and when I finish cleaning the stove.

I've had the same filter in my ash vac since I bought the stove over 5 years ago. Whenever I empty it, I blast out the filter with my air compressor.

I've had the same filter in my ash vac since I bought the stove over 5 years ago. Whenever I empty it, I blast out the filter with my air compressor.
I just bang my filter on the side of my wifes raised bed when I empty the ash vac out . I too still use the original filters in mine ( it's a dual rig with screen and element). Works fine and it's not the most expensive vac in the world, it was a give away we got for free when we bought the stove ( store promo deal).

I'm looking to pick up the Power Smith Vac and I'm curious if anyone has wrapped the end of their hose with wire lathing or screen so they can vacuum up the ash while leaving behind the coals? Trying to cut down on the bulk in my ash bucket and at the same time minimize the wasting of hot or cool coals. Figure it would work provided the lath/screen isn't pulled tight against the tip of hose as coals will get sucked against it and get stuck briefly.

I'm looking to pick up the Power Smith Vac and I'm curious if anyone has wrapped the end of their hose with wire lathing or screen so they can vacuum up the ash while leaving behind the coals? Trying to cut down on the bulk in my ash bucket and at the same time minimize the wasting of hot or cool coals. Figure it would work provided the lath/screen isn't pulled tight against the tip of hose as coals will get sucked against it and get stuck briefly.
On an average winter I burn between 6000 and 8500 lb of pellets ( not this winter as it is going thus far anyway), so we will average that further to 7000lb or 112,000oz. of fuel. I'm not worried about a few glowing embers of potential heat loss. I can't say I haven't thought about that loss but then quickly came to my senses.

Reactions: Wilbur Feral
I use a Powersmith ash vac and I don't empty near as often as I should, but it never clogs up. Maybe you need a different ash vac. Powersmiths were $69 at Ocean State Job Lot last time I was in there.
Shameless plug, I have one for sale. PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.