1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Ash Vacuums?

Post in 'The Gear' started by Paul Reiman, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Paul Reiman

Paul Reiman New Member

Any recommendations out there for a good vac? Looking at the Powersmith and am wondering if there have been any opinions on it. Thanks!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. A1Stoves.com

A1Stoves.com Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CA
    shop vac: drywall bags and hepa filter

used them for many years sweeping chimneys
    McKeznak likes this.
  3. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Cheetah Ash Vac by Love-less . . . expensive, but works very well. Truth be told, I may not have laid out the money for one, but a year or so ago I won one in a contest here and honestly I'm kind of hooked on it. I wouldn't say they're a "must have" tool, but it makes my weekly cleaning of the hearth and stove much faster . . . just a reminder though . . . I'm not a big fan of using these vacs to suck up ash from the firebox, but rather use them to suck up ash from the hearth, ash lip, etc. -- places where there is not a great chance of a live cold being sucked up.
  4. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    That's what I have been using too.
  5. etiger2007

etiger2007 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Clio Michigan
    I have the same vaccume as Firefighterjake and love it, except I shelled out the money for mine:eek:
  6. RSNovi

RSNovi Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Michigan
    I run the Cheetah Ash Vac by Love-less. It works very well.
  7. STOVEGUY11

STOVEGUY11 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SOUTHERN CT
    I also use the Cheetah. Mine was also free. Its a good vac, but If I was looking for a new one I would consider a cheaper alternative.
  8. Bster13

Bster13 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CT
    How long is your stove out before you feel comfortable doing this with a shop vac?

9. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I only use the shop vac inside the stove after it has been out for a long time and the ash is completely stone cold. On the outside I do use it to clean up ash spills, bark crumbs, etc. on the ash lip and hearth throughout the winter.
  10. DBoon

DBoon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central NY
    I have a Cheetah Loveless ash vacuum as well. I bought mine - they are pricey - but it works well. Initially, I used it to clean out the wood stove interior. Since my stove box is small, it was tough to reach all the right places with the hose and attachment, and it caused separation of the metallic spiral hose (Loveless provided a free replacement with one wrapped to keep the separation from occurring). I just use it to clean around the hearth now - wife feels better knowing I use this and not a regular vac, and it is HEPA filtered.

Definitely buy some hearing protection to keep with it as it is a loud machine.
  11. CTPipeDream

CTPipeDream New Member

Loc:
    Andover, CT
  12. Tom Bator

Tom Bator Guest

Pay $20-30 more and go for Loveless COUGAR ash vac. Both come with the similar motor although Cougar comes with a better motor housing and is really less noisy machine.
  13. chico

chico Member

Loc:
    Onterio Canada
    I just got a powersmith and so far love it :) way better than my old shop vac and save $ on bags ;) also I like the small size of it ;em fits nice beside my stove and the price is just right ... Also could suck a patato threw a straw :eek:
  14. Paulywalnut

Paulywalnut Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kennett Square, PA
    None of that ash sneaks out of the bag into the room?
  15. jeffesonm

jeffesonm Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    central NJ
    shop vac works good for me
  16. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    I have a shop vac. It has an inlet & outlet that you can switch the hose between so it will either suck or blow. I run it with hoses on each place, and stick the outlet one out a window or door. Or, I put the vac outside, slap all my hoses together, and run it to the ashes. Either way, it gets the vac air discharge outside - which is important IMO no matter what kind of vac you have. I tried sucking up ashes once with the vac inside, and extra filter on, and a drywall bag, and some ash dust still got by everything. Not doing that again. And I don't think even ash vacs are considered safe to deal with any hot ash or embers - are they?
  17. chico

chico Member

Loc:
    Onterio Canada
    I used shop vac for 8 years and I can
    say ash vac is much safer then a hot amber sitting in that paper bag in your shop vac !!!! Reason the ash gets threw is because a hot amber put a hole in the bag !!! I've had some close calls with a shop vac wile cleaning a pellet stove I thought had only cold ash left in it !!!!!!!!
  18. pinetop12

pinetop12 Member

Loc:
    Androscoggin County , Maine
    Give craigslist a shot. I found a Loveless COUGAR ash vacuum for a 100 bucks. Previous owner claimed he only used one winter - certainly seemed well kept.- He was happy , I was happy. A good ending. The vacuum I had been eying all along. I got a reasonable price. Here's a link to one on line as an example.... Good Luck

http://maine.craigslist.org/tls/4060613619.html