Ashes, ashes, everywhere

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nofossil

Moderator Emeritus
Looking for ideas and techniques for handling ash removal and keeping the dust down. I have an EKO boiler, and I have to clean the ashes out of it every week or so. I use a dustpan and a small galvanized bucket, but it's impossible to empty the dustpan into the bucket without raising a little cloud of dust each time. By the end of the season, every surface in the boiler room has a layer (probably my lungs as well).

I hereby throw myself on the mercy of the forum - teach me a better way!

I got the 12" model and am trying to incorporate it into my routine.
For my insert, one scoop can do it. The question is, what then?
I don't want to have a trash can outside the house, so it's in the garage.
There aren't many ashes in the house, I hope, cause i scoope them up in the trap and bring them into the garage.
Then i open the trash can lid and drop them in - creating dust.
There will be more dust when I transfer the ashes either to plastic bags for disposal or the garden.
In my old way with a covered can on the hearth and a shovel, I could let the can get full and cold, bring it outside, cover it in a plastic bag and pour it in, with some but not too much dust and that being outside.
I think I might go back to my old method and try and sell the thing - not sure yet though - only emptied it 3 times, each of which requires a trip to the garage, btw.

Get a dust mask, and wear it.

Get a smaller shovel to slide the ash into the pail with out a fall or drop as it empties.

If the ash is stone cold I've had good luck lining a small pail with a plastic shopping bag then tying it closed when full, pulling it out and replacing it with another bag. With hot ash slow and easy into the bucket as close to the open ash door as possible. make sure the vent is drawing to pull the ash filled air back into the fire box. Burn wad of papers to get it drawing before you start.

I use a similar method - dust pan into a bucket, but I've added a trick with the shop vac. Have the shop vac running and the hose near the top of the bucket as you dump in the ashes (and ). The vacuum collects the fine, air borne ash quite nicely.

Thanks for the ideas....

The ash trap looks like it might help reduce dust a little, but I can't see how it could help with the ashes from the top chamber. Those have to be scooped out in some way through a smallish door that's several inches above the bottom of the chamber.

I'm intrigued by the ash vacuum concept. I have a lot of ash, though, and I worry that the thing would clog. As someone mentioned, it's very fine. Can anyone comment on how well these things work with large ash volume? Is there a filter which has to be cleaned?

I'm always taking my ashes out when the boiler is cold. I've never seen a live coal in the bottom chamber, but the upper chamber sometimes has a few a day later. I don't think I'd get the flamethrower effect, but I'd like a little first-hand confirmation that they can really deal with occasional live coals without a problem.

The Love-Less ash vac has a rod on it that you pull up and down to tap the ashes off the filter to extend emptying times. The same effect I get by banging the Shop-Vac down against the floor when the suction drops off.

But any decent ash vac like the Love-Less Cheetah is gonna set ya back around two hundred and fifty bucks. Yes, I know you know how to use google but here is a link anyway.

http://www.lovelessash.com/Ash Vac.htm

TresK3 said:
I use a similar method - dust pan into a bucket, but I've added a trick with the shop vac. Have the shop vac running and the hose near the top of the bucket as you dump in the ashes (and ). The vacuum collects the fine, air borne ash quite nicely.

That is my method! Well it used to be when I cleaned the ash only twice per week. Nowadays I scoop a bit of ash daily into a small ash can. You need to place the ash in rather than dump it and you really do not generate any ash dust flying around with a few scoops. Keep a large ash can outside and, upon need, dump this primary can into that one.

IF you do transfer ash inside, that shop vac trick is great. I would put on a medium attachment and hold it to the top of the ash can with the ash can handle resting on it. Then just scoop away. DO NOT get any coals sucked into the vac or before you know it you will be blowing smoke as you melt/burn your $35 HEPA filter!!

Status
Not open for further replies.