ashes coming from chimney ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skidoo33

Jan 12, 2012
leesport pa
hi i'm new to the site, I have a new england summer's heat 3000 add on wood. new to the add on wood stoves, always used regular wood stoves. not used to the whole blower set up. I've used it since the beginng of january. It heat's the house up quite well sometime's to well i've had the house up to 84 degree's already. had to open the door's to vent some of the heat for a while. well any way today it is quite windy up here we have 20 mph winds today, and and ashes are coming out of the chimney not sure which caused this to happen. the wife started the fire she used damp kindling from outside with out letting it dry, or was it just to much draft with the intial start up. right now i have the flue 1/2 closed , and the dampner all but closed.
I'm not thrilled about ashes coming out and landing on my roof, they are big black ashes, not glowing. any insight would be helpful as wood not like to repeat this. Has never happened before this. thank's steve

Did your wife use a large amount of newspaper to start the fire? My old wood furnace used to do that if I put in an excessive amt of newspaper or cardboard when I lit it. I think that the fast rate of combustion of newspaper causes a very strong draft plus the lightform of the paper ash makes it more susceptible tobeing carried out the chimney.

yes she did use cardboard when she started the fire, i did not think to ask her. I thought it looked like paper ash when floating in the air, thought that was odd, now it makes sense. I went out to Tsc and bought creosote powder, buy Rutland. My dad use's it. I was thinking maybe it was creosote built up coming loose. I used it for the first time tonight will clean the pipe tomorrow afternoon. I'm going to start using it once a week Thank's mole for making sense of that now i will rest a little easier now, steve

Status
Not open for further replies.