Ashes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Our go right into my wife's flowerbeds. or if they might still be warm, I have a hole behind my garage that is slowly getting filled :)

Into the garden.

i take mine out and mix into the compost with raked leaves and such , grass clippings etc. i use this compost for my flower gardens. roses seem to like ash from the stove , it should be noted though that just ash by itself tends to harden and not let moisture through by itself , so mix it with peat or potting soil or somthing like that to allow it to be porous before using around roses or other bushes which like a lot of water

I've been waiting for windy days and just toss it up in the air and then let out a sinister laugh as the ash plume blows towards my neighbor's house

I just dump them on the compost pile.

They are also great for spreading on your slick and snowy driveway for traction. As an added benefit, with the ashes being dark in color, it helps to melt that snow as well. Not wanting to use anything salt related on my concrete, the ashes come in very handy!

jimmol said:
Doesn't the ash change the ph of the soil?

good question........

think they're any good for killing ants in the lawn?

Are you suppose to take them out of the stove? I was told at Lowes that you just need to keep pellets in the hopper. The 18 yr old employee did not mention any type of cleaning.

kinsman stoves said:
Are you suppose to take them out of the stove? I was told at Lowes that you just need to keep pellets in the hopper. The 18 yr old employee did not mention any type of cleaning.

that's funny.....lol

Another one for sucked into the vacuum then onto the compost pile.

---Nailer---

kinsman stoves said:
I havent cleaned mine in two weeks. It's running so good I think it might end up down the street :)

Status
Not open for further replies.