Ashes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NextEndeavor

Burning Hunk
Jan 16, 2011
Southern Iowa
This was a pretty relaxing winter day for us. It was one of those you hope for every so often this time of year to really enjoy the fruits of your firewood processing labor. So, I was in all day except for one trip to the firewood shed. Normally I have to feed the stove and either go to work or go to bed (after the burn has settled out). Then for each next load, I sift out the coals with a scoop deal designed for frying food. The hot ones are put in front of the inlet air port. Some of the finer ash powder is gently scooped out when it's 2 or 3 inches deep. However, today, I loaded only a couple splits at a time, several times while keeping the temps in the 4 to 600 degree range. I stirred up the ashes a little before each small load. Oddly enough, there seems to be the same amount of ashes now as I started with 14 hours ago and no clinkers. The glass is spotless too. Full, long burn loads, with air cut back usually fogs up the window somewhat until the next hot firing. The long burns have more hidden coals and minor clinkers. So, opening the door more often today probably cost me some heat efficiency up the stack but we have less ash to mess with. Just an ashes observation.

How far did you have the air control open. When I am home all day I usually burn 2 or 3 split loads at a time and keep the air control between half and completely closed and find that I have very little ash when I reload. When I fill the stove for overnight burns and really cold days that is when I find I start to get alot of ash but not enough that I can't go for 4 or 5 days before I have to remove some, but I usually remove the clinkers right in front of the dog house air every morning

Today I ran the air about half open all day. That put out some nice heat and burns down a couple or three average size splits in 1.5 hours. For full overnight loads the air is wide open for about 20 minutes or so (on nice bed of coals) until stove top is climbing back up through 600 and things are well charred. Then I work the air down to within 1/4 of fully closed. Today was a mix of hard maple, mulberry and cherry. I tossed in some seasoned white pine a couple times after letting things burn down too far. When running hard like last week with 5 degree morning temps and ridiculous wind, I need to remove a portion of the ash at the 3 day mark. Quantity is about a gallon at that point. Running hard to me is maybe 75 pounds of wood in 24 hours (just guessing the weight of the canvas tote I carry in twice per 24 hr cold day). Also, I have never tried stuffing the thing as full as absolutely possible like several people posted a few days ago. That would make for one long burn in my 3.1 cu ft box.

Status
Not open for further replies.