Ashes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckster

Burning Hunk
Jan 21, 2012
Sussex County NJ
Just wondering if pellet stove ashes make good fertilizer for lawn and garden. I have been carting mine up to the woods but it would be a lot easier to just take them out the back door and spread them on the lawn or garden. any thoughts on this?
Chuck :red:

This comes up at least 2 to 3 times per season. There are a lot of comments if you do a search within this forum. Use the search box in the upper left of this page. Postings are so frequent that some make light of it, having a bit of fun. But to your question. Generally, ashes are good on both the lawn and in the garden. Test the ph of you soil if you are not in the northeast. Our soils are generally acid base. Ok for evergreens, but most vegetables and grasses do better with a neutral soil. Aches are alkaline. You would need to dump them in a heap before the soil would become too alkaline.
Don't waste you time putting them on frozen ground. Like most any other soil enhancer, they are quickly leached away by rain. Also don't use them a lot around evergreens or blueberries, or hydrangea. Those plants enjoy the acid soils.

I put mine in the vegetable garden. Last year my tomatoes were the size of softballs .
OK, I exaggerated , but the ashes don`t seem to have any negative effects whatsoever.

Used in small amounts. It can be spread almost anywhere.

I apply it in the garden and in my tree line. I have been known to be lazy and spread it out in the yard. Sometimes I dont make it to the garden or tree line. ;-P (lil lazy on those days!) :lol:

Little on the lawn, little in the flower beds, little in the compost pile, little around the lilac bush. But mostly in the garden.

I wonder if it would add flavor to gravy?

j-takeman said:
thedak said:
I throw mine out in the street.

That reminds me, I do share with the neighbors. When the time comes for the leaf blower. I send it to whoever is down wind! ;-)

...and whoever didn't drop off a bottle at Christmas!

SmokeyTheBear said:
j-takeman said:
thedak said:
I throw mine out in the street.

That reminds me, I do share with the neighbors. When the time comes for the leaf blower. I send it to whoever is down wind! ;-)

You need a bigger lot.

I'm a lake dweller. No such thing as a big lot. I can touch my house and my neighbors at the same time! :red: Not really, But it is pretty close. Hey, Less lawn I gotta mow! :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.