Ashford 25 Shutdown or overnight

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dabbash25

Dec 8, 2023
PA
I just fired up my Ashford today following instructions to get the temp into the "Active" state to close the bypass and engage the catalytic converter. Great. Now, I'm done and want the fire to go out. IF it goes below the "Active" state do I open the bypass OR leave the bypass closed. There are no shutdown instructions and my understanding is that running in the "inactive state" with the cat engaged is bad but also using the stove with the bypass open for long periods is bad.

I just fired up my Ashford today following instructions to get the temp into the "Active" state to close the bypass and engage the catalytic converter. Great. Now, I'm done and want the fire to go out. IF it goes below the "Active" state do I open the bypass OR leave the bypass closed. There are no shutdown instructions and my understanding is that running in the "inactive state" with the cat engaged is bad but also using the stove with the bypass open for long periods is bad.
I've never heard of running in the "inactive state" with cat engaged as being bad or good.

From my perspective the catalyst reaction is intended to continue to remain active until the fuel is spent. Could you shut the stove down and choke of the reaction, probably, but I would think that would be a non-standard way of running a blaze king stove?

If you did shut it down fully and the fuel was not spent, I would imagine that the gasses being released would either make their way up the pipe or potentially backdraft into your home given the right conditions. I don't know if doing so would gunk up the catalyst? Maybe that's why you you're thinking you should open the bypass. Sounds like a good theory to me if I really felt that I needed to shut down my stove for the night. I've never had the feeling to do that, so it would only be theory to me?

Yep - I called the place I bought from and yes, you get it up to temp and either keep it there with the cat engaged or let it die out with the cat engaged, even if it goes low. The only time to open the bypass is on refilling or start-up....from what I was told. It was surprisingly hard to get info on this...but I'm glad I found this forum in the process. After the paint cured/burned a bit, the fire is great. I can pack it better but a few piles a day is all it takes and it's too hot. I need to keep the temp down and under control. I was floored at the price, but if it lasts, it feels good and should save in the long run. And it's about the lifestyle of cutting wood.

Reactions: Tron
this is an interesting question. My solution would be less wood to start with. Choking the stove down doesn’t seem like the right course of action. The smoldering and low temps could lead to excessive creosote. Once the cat drops out of the active zone how long will it continue to smolder/smoke?

@BKVP what advice do you have?

Reactions: all night moe
My issue was that after a bit it was going into the inactive state. The issue was that I had the thermostat on high. I did not realize the lower/slower you burn the hotter the temp. I feel fine now going to bed with the cat on and bypass closed because it will stay in the active zone for some time. The dealer to told me to keep the cat on as it burns down as well as the blower. I was thinking I had to watch it all day for when it crossed the threshold to adjust the bypass. Only on start up is that needed or if I'm refilling and it dropped below active and I caught it late. Tanks for the response - great and active form. I'll no doubt have more question and hopefully contribute.

My issue was that after a bit it was going into the inactive state. The issue was that I had the thermostat on high. I did not realize the lower/slower you burn the hotter the temp. I feel fine now going to bed with the cat on and bypass closed because it will stay in the active zone for some time. The dealer to told me to keep the cat on as it burns down as well as the blower. I was thinking I had to watch it all day for when it crossed the threshold to adjust the bypass. Only on start up is that needed or if I'm refilling and it dropped below active and I caught it late. Tanks for the response - great and active form. I'll no doubt have more question and hopefully contribute.
I understand your question better now. Yes let it burn out with cat engaged. Makes much more sense.

Dealer is correct!

BKVP

Reactions: EbS-P
Yep - I called the place I bought from and yes, you get it up to temp and either keep it there with the cat engaged or let it die out with the cat engaged, even if it goes low. The only time to open the bypass is on refilling or start-up....from what I was told. It was surprisingly hard to get info on this...but I'm glad I found this forum in the process. After the paint cured/burned a bit, the fire is great. I can pack it better but a few piles a day is all it takes and it's too hot. I need to keep the temp down and under control. I was floored at the price, but if it lasts, it feels good and should save in the long run. And it's about the lifestyle of cutting wood.

Wow, a dealer actually knew the correct answer. I was holding my breath on that one. No need to shut the fire "off" but just turn it down lower so you don't overheat. If you get too hot even when on low then use less wood for shorter burns and let the house cool down between fires. We have a lot of warm day fires here in the PNW and my cat stove spends almost all of its life on low output, long, efficient, steady burns.

My wood is slightly wet this year thanks to our torrential September - I'm about 20.5% on average - and if I load east/west and turn it all the way down, the cat drops out of active after four or five hours. I open it up, it creeps back up. So far, no harm done (that I can see at least...). With the temps as warm as they've been, I can't run the stove for long above minimum or we're opening windows.

If you have access (purchase) to some biobricks or NIELS, you can mix them in with your load and get a dryer overall MC.

BKVP

Reactions: all night moe