Ashford 30 install day

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohiojoe13

Feeling the Heat
Dec 22, 2014
alliance ohio
Today is the day to have my Ashford 30 installed. After 10 months of research it's happening today. I was excited until my wife called and told me the cut the hole in the ceiling wrong and they had to cut another hole. How would you guys handle this? It's a textured ceiling and I know it will be hard to match up. They say they will fix it. Just have a feeling it will not look right. I know mistakes can happen but this is one of the reasons i choose to have it done by a professional.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-07-31-13-02-31.png
    Screenshot_2015-07-31-13-02-31.png
    170.9 KB · Views: 202
I think no further than it is off you might be able to make an oversize trim piece. No way you will match that ceiling unless you scrape it all off and re-blow it. Depends on how picky you are. That's too bad that happened.

you can trim it out with wood or metal to cover the hole. chit happens it all depends on how they react to it and make it right. I would ask them what they plan on doing to fix it. And btw there are guys who can match textured ceiling. I know one but there are not many and those that can can charge allot to do small patches like that.

I guess they are going back to there shop to get some plate. They also said they had to get an adjustable pipe.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-07-31-15-14-45.png
    Screenshot_2015-07-31-15-14-45.png
    160.6 KB · Views: 188
I guess they are going back to there shop to get some plate. They also said they had to get an adjustable pipe.
That should work and look ok then but if it doesn't make them fix it to your satisfaction. But give them a chance to make it right before getting to pissed off that will not benefit anyone. I know on the few occasions i mess something up like that i always fix it regardless but if the customer is nice and understanding about it it makes me want to do a much better job of fixing it

That is unfortunate, but with standard off the shelf Duravent radiation shield less than a quarter inch of that is going to show outside the factory trim piece anyway.

I would ask them to patch the drywall with same thickness drywall, put in an oversize trim band and find something else to get wound up about. We might have a presidential election coming up judging by the phone calls I am getting.

Well, on the left. At the back maybe a bit more than a quarter inch would show, but it is about to be too hot to be standing back there anyway.

I think an oversized matching black plate behind the ceiling adaptor would look just fine. It'd have a small step down but that would look nice. Trimming it with wood won't look right in your space you've got what looks like 2 1/4" stained baseboard and some pretty plain finishes. Go with the metal trim piece imo (im a finish carpenter if that matters at all)

Reactions: Ashful
Your new stove looks like it is awfully close to your walls. Are they made of drywall with wooden studs behind them? My Jotul F600 would blister the paint and probably catch the walls on fire if it was placed that close to a wall. Can a blower really move that much heat off a stove so that the stove can be right up against walls like that? And if the blower is the reason you can have such tight clearances I'm wondering what can happen if you have a power failure while burning? Good luck with getting your hole mistake fixed to your satisfaction.

Ditto on the clearace. Blister the walls and melt that receptacle!

And im sorry, but what kind of "professional" could screw that hole up that bad?? If they used a keyhole saw or even roto zip, they surely would have felt that joist.

Last edited:
Your new stove looks like it is awfully close to your walls. Are they made of drywall with wooden studs behind them? My Jotul F600 would blister the paint and probably catch the walls on fire if it was placed that close to a wall. Can a blower really move that much heat off a stove so that the stove can be right up against walls like that? And if the blower is the reason you can have such tight clearances I'm wondering what can happen if you have a power failure while burning? Good luck with getting your hole mistake fixed to your satisfaction.
The blower makes no difference. Many stoves can be very close to the wall, even your 600 if it had the rear heat shield.
The Ashford can be 4" from the wall on the back corner. 16.875" to the center line of the flue. Many times the chimney gets installed in the only available space, then is elbowed forward to meet clearances on the stove. Maybe that's the plan?

Reactions: Ashful
Ditto on the clearace. Blister the walls and melt that receptacle!

And im sorry, but what kind of "professional" could screw that hole up that bad?? If they used a keyhole saw or even roto zip, they surely would have fely that joist.
The clearances can be easily met. Everytime somebody shows their install on this site people start hollering clearances.. Very rarely is it an issue, it just looks that way in the picture.
Ive never cut a hole that was off enough for the trim to not cover. On occasion there is a cathedral ceiling install without attic access, and is framed with offset rafters. The ceiling joist is nailed onto one side of the rafter, there's no way to know which side until you make a hole. But if that happens, the trim still covers. This one, I have no idea how they didn't feel that rafter with the saw? That's pretty bad.

They ended up making a plate to cover it up. Not really happy about it but there is nothing I can do about it once it was cut wrong. It looks OK but not perfect. I could tell the guy felt horrible about it. The stove is 4 1/4" away from the wall, as mentioned above it only needs to be 4". Overall I'm happy with it. I would have rather done it myself but insurance preferred it to be professionally installed. I can't wait to use it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-08-01-10-28-44.png
    Screenshot_2015-08-01-10-28-44.png
    128.3 KB · Views: 188
Hey Poindexter...my last day here. Free Jonsred chain saw, blowers today when you buy a BK.

You know where to find me.....

Chris

Looks good. Just my opinion, I still would have moved it out a few. More so for that receptical being so close.
I had a stove years ago, installed in corner like yours. Clearance from corners 14".
The walls got so hot, you couldnt hold your hand on it for more than a few seconds.
I moved it out a few just for peace of mind.

That looks good. You picked a fine stove! I'm glad they avoided using elbows. How tall is the flue?

webby3650, post: 1955894, member: 6398"]That looks good. You picked a fine stove! I'm glad they avoided using elbows. How tall is the flue?
They did use the elbows just hard to tell in picture. It's 16 feet total.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quowebby3650, post: 1955894, member: 6398"]That looks good. You picked a fine stove! I'm glad they avoided using elbows. How tall is the flue?
It is very hard to see them. Ohh well, it happens a lot with corner installs.

Last edited:
I can't see it up real close but I think the trim plate looks nice. It's a little oversized compared to other things In your space but so is your stove honestly. Dress that window up with a wider moulding (or add a back band to your existing) and put taller baseboard and everything would mesh better.

In a few weeks I bet you forget all about the oversized trim plate.

I say that because there's a lot of things I obsessed about when I was redoing my house that I forgot all about once I started going about my daily life. It's just easy to microfocus on things when you are working on them.

As Big B mentioned next January when it is 10 degrees out and you are sitting there in your shorts and t-shirt with the stove hummin along it won't be such a big deal about the plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.