Ashford Smoke Smell Woes Continue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Calentarse

Feeling the Heat
Feb 25, 2011
MD
well, the smell is back. Starting smelling smoke again recently coming from the front right of the stove. It was 45 last night when I refilled it for another long, slow burn and before bed it was emitting smoke again. Does anyone have any suggestions?

As a reminder, I added another four foot of pipe to my 13, so I'm at 17 total now. I recently cleaned the chimney out and cleaned the cap off. It hadn't been cleaned since the beginning of December and it was disgusting. Other than that conditions are the exact same other than last night I had put in some apple. I know that was what it was because you can't mistake the bark and grain of the wood. I'm hoping the apple was super smoky and for some reason caused the issue. The stove burned fine and showed a nice orange bed of coals. You could just smell it faintly in the living room.

I am sorry to hear this! I have been following your other thread along, since I am very interested in the stove as my next unit.
When you say the pipe was disgusting, you mean full of creo?
Cheers

Reactions: termv
I have the progress hybrid and occasionally get a smoke smell. I can go weeks with nothing then 1 load will smell. Could be the milder weather, doesn't really bother me.

How is the gasket around the door sealing? Have you tried a dollar bill test? Checking he basics first...

I do as well on occasion. It just never bothers me.
I understand that yours could be worse than others experience. But, you are burning wood very low and slow for a very long period of time. I think this is something that is just going to happen under certain conditions with a cat stove..

Reactions: Calentarse
I do as well on occasion.I think this is something that is just going to happen under certain conditions with a cat stove..
Does it only happen when you have the air cut as low as it will go without stalling the cat? Does the odor stop if you then open the air a little more? Hasn't happened to me with the Woodstocks or the Buck, only the Dutchwest on occasion. I think it's a slightly warped side door. Or could be where the bypass shaft enters, or the cat air supply. I'm not absolutely sure; I never pursued it because it wasn't a big problem, I'd just catch a slight whiff occasionally when I was right above the area where I suspect the leak might be.
If it's a case where it only happens in low-draft conditions, I'd just burn it a little hotter. Heck, when it only gets down to 45 at night I don't really need a super-low burn, the house will stay warm enough for quite a while after the fire is pretty much burned out.

Does it only happen when you have the air cut as low as it will go without stalling the cat? Does the odor stop if you then open the air a little more? Hasn't happened to me with the Woodstocks or the Buck, only the Dutchwest on occasion. I think it's a slightly warped side door. Or could be where the bypass shaft enters, or the cat air supply. I'm not absolutely sure; I never pursued it because it wasn't a big problem, I'd just catch a slight whiff occasionally when I was right above the area where I suspect the leak might be.
If it's a case where it only happens in low-draft conditions, I'd just burn it a little hotter. Heck, when it only gets down to 45 at night I don't really need a super-low burn, the house will stay warm enough for quite a while after the fire is pretty much burned out.
I've only noticed it when the stove is running near low. Typically its when I've recently reduced the air from a higher setting to low. It's certainly not a concern to me. Some people are very sensitive to it though.

Reactions: rdust
I am sorry to hear this! I have been following your other thread along, since I am very interested in the stove as my next unit.
When you say the pipe was disgusting, you mean full of creo?
Cheers
Yes, it was gross. I mean, not completely full, but I probably had a gallon jug full.

How is the gasket around the door sealing? Have you tried a dollar bill test? Checking he basics first...
Tight. I just don't want to mash it down too far because I read that someone said if you smash it down too far then you will have to replace it to get it to seal. The door handle is tight and the gasket is new (put on by a professional).

I've only noticed it when the stove is running near low. Typically its when I've recently reduced the air from a higher setting to low. It's certainly not a concern to me. Some people are very sensitive to it though.
I am definitely one of those sensitive people. Smells are huge to me, always have been. It's a curse to have smell as one of your heightened senses while, at the same time, loving burning wood.

My smell isn't when I've just reduced the heat. I get the stove burning good to try to boil out moisture before the cat is engaged so it heats up and out and away from the cat. During this time, the pipe gets very hot and increases draft. When I shut the stove down and reduce the primary to low, I don't smell anything. Interestingly, there isn't even any heat rolling from the front of the stove just yet (where I normally smell the smoke). Once those bypass is closed and the stove heats up and brings those pipe temps down, I feel like the draft reduces and if the fire isn't hot enough/draft isn't great enough, it starts pushing smoke out. I really believe the smoke is coming through the gasket because it's easier than going up the pipe. My chimney guy said that when he pulled my old gasket away, it looked like the back of the gasket was smoke stained across the top of the door.

I
Yes, it was gross. I mean, not completely full, but I probably had a gallon jug full.

I don't think this is normal. To have this much build up in 4 months. If the cat is doing its job then you should have a minimal accumulation of creo. in such period of time. Maybe, wet wood, stalled cat, low draft and firebox full of smoke is causing the leak.

Reactions: webby3650
I

I don't think this is normal. To have this much buid up in 4 months. If the cat is doing its job then you should have a minimal accumulation of creo. in such period of time. Maybe, wet wood, stalled cat, low draft and firebox full of smoke is causing the leak.
I don't think it was quite a gallon, but it was probably close. I agree. I think it should be burning cleaner.

I don't have stalled cat problems. That's only happened to me once in two winters and I think it was my fault. I do get the others you said though. Although, I don't think I have wet wood. My oak is 3 years old and everything reads mid teens on my MM. I DO think that the apple from the other night may have needed more seasoning though.

Now, low draft is another issue. I absolutely cannot add any more pipe. I really want a straight shot but it would bring the stove too far out into the room. I think I still have a weak draft due to the mild temps and two 45s, but I just can't do anything else but make sure my wood is dry and burn as hot as possible. I just don't want to waste wood to try to work around a problem that I should not be having.

I don't think it was quite a gallon, but it was probably close. I agree. I think it should be burning cleaner.

I don't have stalled cat problems. That's only happened to me once in two winters and I think it was my fault. I do get the others you said though. Although, I don't think I have wet wood. My oak is 3 years old and everything reads mid teens on my MM. I DO think that the apple from the other night may have needed more seasoning though.

Now, low draft is another issue. I absolutely cannot add any more pipe. I really want a straight shot but it would bring the stove too far out into the room. I think I still have a weak draft due to the mild temps and two 45s, but I just can't do anything else but make sure my wood is dry and burn as hot as possible. I just don't want to waste wood to try to work around a problem that I should not be having.
I also have a nearly minimum height chimney, with a set of 45's back to back it rolls smoke out the door when I open it. I have to be really careful when reloading. I ditched the elbows and the problem went away. It acts much different with a straight shot! Is there any way you can run it without the elbows? I really think it'll fix your issue.

I also have a nearly minimum height chimney, with a set of 45's back to back it rolls smoke out the door when I open it. I have to be really careful when reloading. I ditched the elbows and the problem went away. It acts much different with a straight shot! Is there any way you can run it without the elbows? I really think it'll fix your issue.
Yes, I could pull the hearth that is in the corner out away from the wall three feet, but it would stick into the room too far (the hearth, the stove would be ok i guess), especially if I leave the required clearance in front of it on the hearth itself.

Hey guys, I'm brand new to this forum. I've done a lot of internet reading before replacing my old VC Defiant, and went for a new BK Ashford 30 (installed 3 weeks ago) because of all the great advice on this site...so thank you!

Overall I love the stove, and I am obviously still learning, but I also notice a burning smell. At this point I should be beyond the paint curing stage, and as best I can tell I smell it most when the stove is turned down with the cat engaged. I can't really see any evidence of smoke spillage and the door seal seems tight.

I have about 9-1/2 feet of 6" double wall pipe running straight up to my class A chimney through the cathedral ceiling. Total stack height is 15 ft.

Any ideas?

Welcome. Contact BKVP or BK tech support. There may be a solution depending on the screws used under the door gasket. Another option to try is to add 2-3 ft more chimney if possible. Note that the chimney must be braced at 5ft high after exiting the roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.