Ashley 24AF issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geodude

Oct 17, 2008
Western PA
I am new to the wood fired furnace thing, and I am having some issues with my 24AF. Initially the draft induction fan was running the way it should, and I had it working pretty well, but then the circulation blower would short cycle: 10 sec on, 10 sec off. Now after one night, the draft blower is not running, and I was still having the circulation fan short cycle. I reduced the start temp for the circ fan, and it came on and stayed on. Now the house is about 80. The only way I could get it to shut off was to turn off the fan at the furnace. My fire was not that large so I wasn't over fireing the furnace. Any Ideas?

Thanks

Sounds like a control issue. There must be a certain differential between the on and the off (fan limit) or else circ will short cycle.

As far as the house temp - keep this in mind. Starting up a solid fuel system when relatively little heat is needed will often result in room or house overheating - and other problems! I usually use some kind of a basic rule - like not starting up Central heat until it falls below 45 degree on a 24 hour basis. The furnace has no way of actually shutting off, and even the lower settings can overheat in this weather.

My suggestion would be to make sure all control settings are at the factory suggested one...and then try it when it gets colder.

geodude said:
I am new to the wood fired furnace thing, and I am having some issues with my 24AF. Initially the draft induction fan was running the way it should, and I had it working pretty well, but then the circulation blower would short cycle: 10 sec on, 10 sec off. Now after one night, the draft blower is not running, and I was still having the circulation fan short cycle. I reduced the start temp for the circ fan, and it came on and stayed on. Now the house is about 80. The only way I could get it to shut off was to turn off the fan at the furnace. My fire was not that large so I wasn't over fireing the furnace. Any Ideas?

Thanks
An excellent starting point is to adjust the settings to 100 degrees as the OFF, 150 degrees as the ON, and 200 degrees as the limit. Note: By adjusting the "OFF" and "ON" settings, you will alter the time the blowers will run. To lengthen the "run" time, spread the "OFF" and "ON" pointers further apart. The opposite will shorten the "run" time, also look for shorts by turning off the lights and looking for a blue flash as the blowers kick on and off! Also If you do not have a cold air return, this could be your problem. When the fan kicks on, it pulls air off the floor and blows heat away, then pulls cool air across the thermodisc causing unit to shut right back off. 2nd possible problem could be you have a faulty thermodisc.

Thanks for the information, I was starting to think that maybe I was using the wood heat before I needed to and the responses completed that thought. The next time I fire it up, first it will be cooler, and second, I will work on getting the settings right.

Status
Not open for further replies.