Ashley 5500xl smoke on start up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jabbers

Oct 15, 2008
NE OHIO
Here is my situation. I have smoke on start up on my ahley 5500xl made by USSC. I've shortened the vent some just to see if that would help. That did help some but I still have smoke. I have new pipe new stove. The piping is as follows (basement installation) 1 T, 5' of pipe, 1 90 elbow, 2' straight, 1 T, 1' pipe, 1 90 elbow, and a cap, all 3". I know my pipe is a bit under sized which I found out after I already got the pipe dirty by running the stove outside. I have a nice brown film on my glass. All of the pipe joints are sealed with RTV. The smoke is coming out around the appliance adapter I think I'm just not sure. I've tried using a flash light in the dark. I've put more RTV on the outside of appliance adapter. The next step would be to take off apliance adapter. Have I missed anything? Does anyone have any help to offer?

I've checked my pipe a couple more times and I've found smoke rushing straight to the floor coming out of the bottom of my T. So when it cools down i'm going to take off the T to check the bottom cap.

Still smoking running out of options. I've been installing wood burners for years. I'm starting to think this pellet stuff isn't for me.

Jabbers said:
Here is my situation. I have smoke on start up on my ahley 5500xl made by USSC. I've shortened the vent some just to see if that would help. That did help some but I still have smoke. I have new pipe new stove. The piping is as follows (basement installation) 1 T, 5' of pipe, 1 90 elbow, 2' straight, 1 T, 1' pipe, 1 90 elbow, and a cap, all 3". I know my pipe is a bit under sized which I found out after I already got the pipe dirty by running the stove outside. I have a nice brown film on my glass. All of the pipe joints are sealed with RTV. The smoke is coming out around the appliance adapter I think I'm just not sure. I've tried using a flash light in the dark. I've put more RTV on the outside of appliance adapter. The next step would be to take off apliance adapter. Have I missed anything? Does anyone have any help to offer?

2 T`s and 2 elbows is too much of a stretch. You need to increase the pipe size!

I've taken it down 1T and 1 90 elbow and still smoke. The pipe isn't the issue and the pellets aren't damp. That's why this thing is very frustrating.

Still smoking . Its great I have a new stove with 2 tons of pellets and I can't run the darn thing.

I had a leak at my Pellet vent pro stove adapter. It was coming out at the adapter open end toward stove, where the air gap is. I had sealed my first pipe on the outside, not right. I removed the first pipe and sealed the gap in pipe, then put sealer in the adapter. I only have a 2 ft pipe, so I took a 3 foot stick to smooth out the excess sealer, no leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.