Ashpan with pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MommyOf4

Feeling the Heat
Oct 4, 2012
Southern MD
When I clean out the firepot the ashpan is full of unburned pellets and I'm thinking that I need to pull the clean out rod more often to keep the igniter clear of ash. Is it ok to leave the ash and/or pellets in the ashpan while there's a fire burning in the stove?

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    266.2 KB · Views: 167
Is it ok to leave the ash and/or pellets in the ashpan while there's a fire burning in the stove?
Leaving the ash and unburned pellets in the ash pan is not going to harm anything. But the fact that there are so many pellets that have NO charring on them is puzzling. Is it possible that the damper on your stove is set too far open to the point that it is blowing pellets right out of the burn pot? This does not look right. It may be that they fall from the shoot into the burn pot and when they "bounce" up, the air is blowing them right out of the burn pot.

I had a similar problem with my stove. i found that too many pellets were landing in the ash pan because they were bouncing funny out of the burn pot as they fell from the drop tube.

I added some extensions to my burn pot in order to keep nearly every pellet where they belong.

You shouldn't have any problems with the pellets in the ash pan as long as you're leaving the stove on. If you leave it on thermostat mode turning the stove on and off the pellets in the ash pan could smolder and create a smoke back. That was the problem I was having from time to time before I extended my burnpot sides.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/my-burn-pot-extension-installed-on-bosca-classic-500.99855/

With the CAB-50 I bet you are not pulling the side lever often enough. Must be once a day and more often with clinker making pellets. I am sure the pellets that are not charred are failing to ignite do to the ash/clinker build up. Pull your rod often to avoid build up. If you can not pull your rod have a friend pull it.

Eric

Well ................. it's complicated. How sum evvah, by the time this one gits beat ta death, maybe Slickplant will even chime in........

Hate when "it" gets beat to death.

With the CAB-50 I bet you are not pulling the side lever often enough. Must be once a day and more often with clinker making pellets. I am sure the pellets that are not charred are failing to ignite do to the ash/clinker build up. Pull your rod often to avoid build up. If you can not pull your rod have a friend pull it.

Eric

You are correct. That is the reason, but I clean it everyday. How can I prevent the ash build up? Aren't they supposed to fall through the little holes on the bottom?

You are correct. That is the reason, but I clean it everyday. How can I prevent the ash build up? Aren't they supposed to fall through the little holes on the bottom?

I see you have numerous brands of pellets in your signature but are you trying them or sticking to one brand? A few factors can cause bad ask but the pellets and a dirty stove is the two main reason.

Eric

I see you have numerous brands of pellets in your signature but are you trying them or sticking to one brand? A few factors can cause bad ask but the pellets and a dirty stove is the two main reason.

Eric

I tried Power Pellets and Statesmen, but those didn't burn well in my stove. I'm sticking to the green label Lignetics. I don't think my stove is dirty because I just installed it and haven't even gone through half a ton yet. I vacuum out the stove every 3 days and pull the cleaning rod everyday. Half the time it's been off since it's been warm here. Am I missing a cleaning of some sort?

Aren't they supposed to fall through the little holes on the bottom?

No.. air comes through the holes. How can ash fall through, when air is being sucked in?

The only way to expel ash in your pot, is to pull the rod while not burning, or air expell the ash while burning. Better pellets will have a better fly ash and keep a cleaner pot.

I can go a week or two without touching my Rod? !!! (Shhh) Don't know why the Heatilators are so different? Seems to be quite a few users already this year with caked pots daily? The same pot and blower, should create the same airflow? Puzzling....

Status
Not open for further replies.