Ashtrapper - Is it worth it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

isipwater

Feeling the Heat
Jun 6, 2013
Southeastn, AZ
Hi,

This will be my very first winter ever using a wood stove and burning wood.

I want to make sure I am prepared and have the correct gear and I and came across Ashtrapper.

Ashtrapper
_MG_3446crop-web.jpg

Here it is on the woodheat.org website:
http://woodheat.org/ash-removal.html

Here is the website where you can buy it for $49.95 + shipping:
http://ashtrapper.com/

My questions are:

1) Do you think the Ashtrapper worth the money?

2) If you don't use an Ashtrapper, what are the best tools you have found for removing ash?

I've been using an ash trap for several years now , I like it . I don't use it to scoop the ash out . I separate the ash to one side and to the back of the firebox ,the use an ash shovel to load the trap up . Keeps the dust down .

I've been using an ash trap for several years now , I like it . I don't use it to scoop the ash out . I separate the ash to one side and to the back of the firebox ,the use an ash shovel to load the trap up . Keeps the dust down .
Sounds like a different product? Where did you buy it?

That thing looks like it would be more difficult to use, and possibly create more mess, than the problem it's trying to solve. Does your stove have an ash pan? If so, simply pulling the ash pan and carrying it outside to dump twice per week, right before a reload, is usually the easiest course. If no ash pan, then simply shovel out into a bucket once a week. As stated, the messy part is not the scooping, but the dumping. Move slowly, and there will be no dust flying.

The only trouble I have is when the wind is howling outside, and it's time to empty the ash pan. My ash pan has no lid, and so it's possible to whip some of the loose ash up when opening the door and holding the pan in the other hand. On those days, I'll sometimes settle for shoveling into a bucket, like the guys without ash pans, and then carrying the bucket out to dump in my ash can.

I'm all for spending money on gadgetry, but I'd probably skip this one.

That thing looks like it would be more difficult to use, and possibly create more mess, than the problem it's trying to solve. Does your stove have an ash pan? If so, simply pulling the ash pan and carrying it outside to dump twice per week, right before a reload, is usually the easiest course. If no ash pan, then simply shovel out into a bucket once a week. As stated, the messy part is not the scooping, but the dumping. Move slowly, and there will be no dust flying.

The only trouble I have is when the wind is howling outside, and it's time to empty the ash pan. My ash pan has no lid, and so it's possible to whip some of the loose ash up when opening the door and holding the pan in the other hand. On those days, I'll sometimes settle for shoveling into a bucket, like the guys without ash pans, and then carrying the bucket out to dump in my ash can.

I'm all for spending money on gadgetry, but I'd probably skip this one.

My stove will not have an ashpan. Did you see how it has a sliding cover?

Yep. Saw that.

My advice on gadgets is always the same. Watch what the pros use, buy what they use, and learn to use it right. This goes for everything from chainsaws to kitchen cutlery. Now, ask how many life-long burners use this contraption.

Being your first year in, I understand the interest in something like this, but it's aimed at solving a problem that exists more in theory than reality. ridemgis stated the proper procedure.

I guess I'm a little confused. I just use a bucket and shovel like ridemgis suggests and have no issues with ash mess. All of my mess is from bringing in wood.

Little stove shovel and a double-bottom steel pail with a lid. No probs. Rick

Wow, that is expensive, thanks for sharing. How does the the large ash scoop you have now perform vs the ashtrapper you had?
I like it better. The ashtrapper eventually failed because the 'rails' became deformed. I think it's square cross section and length give it more capacity.

Sounds like a different product? Where did you buy it?
To be honest ,I don't recall . I saw it online some where years ago . And ,yes it is probably a different product now that you mentioned it .

Our stove also does not have an ash pan. Emptying ashes is one of the easiest things about wood burning. A simple ash shovel and a bucket is all one needs. The only thing you have to remember is to handle with care. Never dump the ashes into the bucket. Simply lower the shovel full of ash into the bucket and then easily slide the shovel out from under the ashes. Try it and you will see that you can do it and create no ash dust at all.

I use a simple shovel and tin bucket. I go one step further, I run the shop vac with a HEPA filter on it ABOVE the pail as I am shoveling the ash in....
I carefully lower the shovelful of ash into the bucket and slide the shovel out from under it, just as Sav explained in his post above. The "fines" get caught in the shop vac, which I have in my other hand above the shovel/bucket as I am cleaning out the stove.

usually I only have to clean out ash once every two weeks. I don't get much dust in the house at all......works great.
The only "gadget" I use in my stove is the coal sifter that I fabricated......I use that to bring the hot coals out of the ash and it works great for restarts and to burn off EVERY SINGLE COAL in the stove.....I work hard for my firewood and don't want to waste any of it!::-)

2013-01-27_18-52-02_592.jpg 2013-01-27_18-52-14_781.jpg

I like that sifter shovel.

I use the "work site vac" method at times. It works great as long as you keep the vac hose close enough to suck but far enough away to NOT suck in anything hot.

I told dad about my method. He tried it, and set the vac on fire. ;lol Luckily it was my little bro's college appartment el-cheapo canister vac so it was no real big loss.

Reactions: ScotO
I've tried both methods, and I think the way I do it now is better than the bucket. I always had dust come out even when I was careful.

I just went looking for a link to the ash sifter I have. It's actually a French fry basket, like at McDonalds with the end hook cut off. You put it to one side in the stove, then shovel the ashes in. Give it a few shakes and the ashes fall out and you have the coals left. Dump the coals on the other side and carefully tke out the ashes.

I use a regular fireplace shovel with a rectangular bucket that looks list that expensive ash shovel box thing. I do like Backwoods and Scotty do by sliding the shovel from under the ashes. I close the lid and carry it out to my metal small garbage can with a lid and bail that locks the lid on. I let it sit for a week before putting the ashes on a dump pile.

Reactions: isipwater
I use a simple shovel and tin bucket. I go one step further, I run the shop vac with a HEPA filter on it ABOVE the pail as I am shoveling the ash in....
I carefully lower the shovelful of ash into the bucket and slide the shovel out from under it, just as Sav explained in his post above. The "fines" get caught in the shop vac, which I have in my other hand above the shovel/bucket as I am cleaning out the stove.

usually I only have to clean out ash once every two weeks. I don't get much dust in the house at all......works great.
The only "gadget" I use in my stove is the coal sifter that I fabricated......I use that to bring the hot coals out of the ash and it works great for restarts and to burn off EVERY SINGLE COAL in the stove.....I work hard for my firewood and don't want to waste any of it!::-)

View attachment 108550 View attachment 108551

Nice deep sifter shovel, Scott. Much better than the store bought ones. Did a fine job with that.

Our stove also does not have an ash pan. Emptying ashes is one of the easiest things about wood burning. A simple ash shovel and a bucket is all one needs. The only thing you have to remember is to handle with care. Never dump the ashes into the bucket. Simply lower the shovel full of ash into the bucket and then easily slide the shovel out from under the ashes. Try it and you will see that you can do it and create no ash dust at all.
Dennis, you've had many years of heating with wood to hone those ash removal skills. We newer burners need all the help we can get.

He's probably had a LOT more rolling pins upside the noggin (from getting fly ash in the house) from the Mrs. over the years than we've had, too!!!
Haha! You're prolly right. Practice makes perfect, though.

View attachment 108550 View attachment 108551

. . . and in the Summer it can double as a shovel to sift out the cat poo from the litter box! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.