Asian Wasp Released to Combat Emerald Ash Borer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay106n

Minister of Fire
Apr 1, 2015
Litchfield County, CT
Fighting one invasive species with another is bound to have adverse effects. I would love to see the eab stopped but I see this strategy as a very risky one.

Reactions: AmbDrvr253
Fighting one invasive species with another is bound to have adverse effects. I would love to see the eab stopped but I see this strategy as a very risky one.

What he said!

Too little too late

Not all non-native species are invasive. They qualify as invasive if they either crowd out competition, overwhelm their ecological niche, etc.. Honeybees are non-native, but nobody worries about them because they don't spread unchecked or wipe out native species. There's got to be thousands of non-native species we've introduced to North America, ranging from horses to daffodils.

So the question is which are these wasps? Fortunately, the USDA isn't just throwing ideas at the EAB problem to see what sticks. They've been studying several natural predators for years. That included a series of laboratory tests to see what other species the wasps might attack. I went looking for information and found the environmental analysis they had to file before releasing any of the wasps, and it seems they only attack wood boring insects, and most of the wasps they're considering don't even attack other wood borers...only EAB. Of the non-EAB borers that some of the wasps they're considering attack, if given a choice, they strongly prefer EAB.

I also found this info sheet which seemed worth reading.
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/plant_health/plant_pest_info/emerald_ash_b/downloads/eab-biocontrol.pdf

I'm not necessarily promoting the project, and I don't suppose the USDA can absolutely rule out the risk of the wasps spreading out of control, but this is quite different from how EAB and other invasive species were originally introduced, with no regard for risk of populations getting out of control. I just don't want a potentially good solution rejected out of hand, especially considering how clear and major the damage caused by EAB is, versus what seems like small remaining concerns with these wasps.

Reactions: Fred Wright
reminds me of this classic simpsons episode

Yeah, kinda where I was going with this. Didn't know The Simpsons beat me to it lol

It all comes down to the almighty dollar - they are estimating they've lost 1 billion in ash lumber already.

Status
Not open for further replies.