Ask and ye shall receive

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NH_Wood

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 24, 2009
southern NH
Road crews out and about for the past 2 weeks. Large cherry taken down about 1/4 mile up the road. Waited a day and stopped to ask owner if I could have the wood. Said his son-in-law wanted it, but if he didn't come, I could have it. Said he'd stop by my house and tell me if it was mine. Haven't heard back in a week - wood still sitting there, but not asking again. Next: nice load of cherry and oak about 1/4 mile in the other direction. Left a note and knocked several times - no answer. Saw the lights on tonight and stopped. 'Take it all' was the word from the owner.

For those trying to get ahead on wood - my advise is 'always ask'. Sometimes it works out, sometimes not - but no harm in asking and I bet the next time some wood happens to fall in my neighbors lot, I'll get it. Showing your willingness to work hard goes a long way - most folks are happy to help. Wood score tomorrow! Cheers!

Nice. Once the words out you're the town hoarder, you'll get lots of opportunities:)

Reactions: OldLumberKid
Nice. Once the words out you're the town hoarder, you'll get lots of opportunities:)
Ha! Yes - I think the word is out - about 26 cord or so c/s/s on property now- not including this year's wood in the barn - the guy tonight said 'oh, your the guy with the ton of wood down the road' ;lol Cheers!

In 1.5 years I have accumulated about 12 cords at the start of the burning season this year. I have had people stop by my house and ask if I would sell any of my stacks and I have had some neighbors come and ask me if I would take down a tree and keep the wood. Last neighbor asked if I would take his dying birch tree down. I will go and check that one out yet this year and take it down for him.

Reactions: OldLumberKid
That's great - how much do you burn per year? 12 cord is real nice - good luck with the birch! Cheers!

I will probably burn 5 cords this year. But much of my wood is boxelder so not real high BTU's. I would guess I am close to 3 cords right now and I started burning around Oct. 18th. Dec. and Jan. have been unusually cold this year. Most nights this Jan have been below 0*F. For the coming years I have better BTU wood that is seasoning now. I would think I should be able to get by on 4 cords of good hardwood that is cut in larger rounds. Made a mistake last year of splitting rounds too small. Bought a 4 way wedge and went a little nuts with it. I have Oak that I cut and split last December that is in the teens for moisture percent today. Kind of unheard of but I basically live in an open field with no trees to block the wind and no shade, i.e. perfect for seasoning wood.

You're right about having nothing to lose by asking; I'd say I've had success rate of about 90 % over the years of the answer being "yes".....

Reactions: Missouri Frontier
Same here - most times I've received permission. I chose the right houses to ask - I obviously don't bother if there is wood stacked on the property, etc. Most folks are happy to not have to deal with the wood themselves. The wood doesn't last long either - got to ask quick - plenty of like-minded folks out there. I've actually had to run outside and stop folks from scrounging town dropped trees on my own property - well in view of my wood stacks - I'm always thinking 'Duh - don't you think I probably want that wood???'. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.