Ask and you shall receive II - Progress

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KaptJaq

Minister of Fire
Jan 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
Since the landscapers dumped the last load I've done some splitting and stacking. Split an hour or two a day, two or three days a week. I am probably half through the pile of rounds. Interesting mix of woods, white oak, red oak, silver maple, sugar maple, cherry, birch, elm, red elm(?), and a couple I cannot identify. Some split like oak, one hit, a clean ping and the wood splits. Others are like elm, knurled, twisted, and stringy.

I was told that this wood is from an overgrown property that the estate is preparing for sale. The owners got old and could not keep up. The kids didn't have time to help. I have found hammock hooks, nails, wire, and other metal debris buried in the wood. Some twenty years from the outer ring.

Hope to finish by the first weekend in June. Before and current pics below...

KaptJaq

Img_5677_a.jpg

Img_5679_a.jpg

Great mix of hardwoods.
At least it wasn't your saw that found the misc metal.
Stacks are looking good.
Nice splitting action pic, Good form.

you must of had Backwoods over to help with the stacking
Looking real good

My stacks are not worthy of comparison to the Master Stacker. Compared to his level, straight stacks mine are more like piles. This wood is for 2013/2014. Hopefully it will stay stacked that long...

Great mix of hardwoods.
At least it wasn't your saw that found the misc metal.

Mine didn't but the tree service lost a few chains. There were a couple of cuts half through the wood that stopped. Then a new cut a couple of inches higher or lower. When I split it I would find what stopped the first cut.

KaptJaq

Just remember what you found in the wood (and what may still be hiding!) when you scatter the ashes after it is burnt.

Sounds like a good mix.

pen

The C/S/S is finally finished. The final tally from this load is 8 stacks 8 feet long by 6.5 feet high, 1 stack 8 feet long by 5 feet high, and one stack 10 feet long by 5 feet high. The target length was 20 inches, some are a little longer, some a little shorter. There are also some chunks as seen on top of the low stacks and about 6 cu ft of cookies split into kindling. The stacks total up to well over 800 cu ft or about 6.5 cords.

IMG_5735_b.JPG

Some of this wood is targeted for the 2013/2014 season, the rest for 2014/2015.

My two storage areas are full, I'm putting the maul away and getting the boat into the water.

KaptJaq

Status
Not open for further replies.