Ask before you cut

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdscj8

Feb 19, 2009
Eastern,Nebraska
People please ASK before you go on someones land to cut. Wensday we had a guy and his wife go into our timber with out asking anyone, and both got hurt. he cut a tree and it was falling at her so she jump into the creek and broke her leg, he went to help her and fell hit his head on a rock and knocked himself out, its a creek that you can’t just climb out of.
No one knew they where there, i didn’t find them untill about 10:00 pm when i checked on the horses. The lady heard my truck and started yelling when i shut it off. There are alot of farmers and land owners that would be happy to let you help clear land off, but please be respectful and ask, and let them know when you go in to cut and get done for safty sakes. That way if there is a problem someone will at least know your there. And if they don’t hear from you for a while they come check on you.

THANK YOU, JD

A sad story of thievery. Besides the criminal aspect of what they did, in MN timber theft also is subject to triple damages to the landowner.

Same as NH- 3 times the value of the timber and that tree would of been mine and my kids favorite that Great Grandpa planted on a snowy night while Grammy was given birth to triples. Thieves are like crows leave one hanging from a tree and most stay away :)

We live in a private inholding in the middle of the national forest.
IMO the public in general has become less respectfull of private property
than it was 20 years ago with some exceptions.

We have timber theft, tresspassing,
breaking and entering ect on a regular basis.

I caught two guys recently with two trees down and bucked up
and almost fully loaded. I told them they were thieves and were
subject to arrest..they said they didn't know it was private property
ect.. they had a fire burning within 20ft of a posted sign.....they made good
house logs into firewood....

I carry a backpack everywhere with a camera, cell phone and a 44mag..
Best way to deal with these types is take photos and call the sheriff
and let them deal with it..

With the economy getting softer I expect to see it only get worse...

Status
Not open for further replies.