Asking again for NNJ dry wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mroverkill

Feeling the Heat
Aug 10, 2010
Northern nj
overkillauto.com
ANYONE over here can help out a fellow member for some dry wood it is DRY???

i have my wood 5 cords cut and stacked for 12-13
i have 3 cords for 13-14
and i have about 1-2 cords in logs for 14-15

BUT i only have like 2 cords for this year i need like 2 more cords

everyone i call says its dry but when they come here and i check with the meter its a joke and when i tell them on the phone about the meter they quiclky change there mind about being seasoned

i would pick it up and all i am in zip 07803

Come on out and I'll give you a real deal and it is dry.

Good luck. Hope you find some good stuff.

How long have you had the wood for next year? If you have had it split and stacked all summer I'd say burn that and mix it in with your 2 cords you have for this year. If it's under 25% mc and you can mix it with drier stuff then I would burn it and not think twice. I know people will get on me and say wood should be like 15% mc before you burn it, but I have burned stuff that was in the 20-25% mc range ( my first year) and i was warm and my chimney was fine.

I would suggest a few things.

1) try and scrounge some dead wood. If you have access to some woods in your area or if you see something driving around, look for smaller diameter dead trees that have been dead for awhile. Usually - you can cut these up and they are good and dry. Tedious, but smaller trees no bigger than a liter bottle in size that have been dead many years - cut them up and split it and check for moisture. You might be surprized. I try to find ones that have been laying propped up off the ground by a branch or rock. Or dead standing. You find a dead standing tree that was struck by lightening some 4-5 yrs ago and it will be dry. Look for the trees that are so old - they have no bark left on them.

2) scrounge some pallets and cut them up to suppliment

3) there is a landscaper at Sussex Avenue and Mt. Freedom Rd, just before Hanover Ave. He has a huge pile of Ash rounds that he is splitting and selling. Ash has low moisture and you could check his quality in person. I've seen them from the road and they look decent. Get some of this and save it to burn last after you go thru the 2 cords you have and it should be good.

4) Fairclough fuel in Augusta on 206 - a guy has a red dump trailer loaded with what looks to be a full cord of splits. They look good and dry, but I have not checked them with a meter, but you could call fairclough to get more details.

5) Look around for a dealer selling kiln dry wood. They will sell by the pallet - but it's gonna be staggering pricey. Google "Hot Stiks" in PA. I think you can buy in bulk - but again....... crazy expensive.

6) find a lumber mill and seek out scraps or slats. You can usually get a truck load of these fairly cheap.

I don't believe you will find anyone selling firewood that you can meter less than 20%. I hope this helps.

now i thought that wood pallets were pine and crap wood ? if not i think i can get access to some wood pallets

Pallets are generally hardwood

Yeah, treat pallets just like kiln dry and board scraps. They will burn very hot and you could damage a stove by loading too much (over firing).

The problem with scrounging pallets is they take up alot of space. It would be nice to have a generator and skil saw to break them down on site. You could really fill up a truck bed fast with the right set up. Considering the shop owners wouldn't mind you cutting on site.

There is a mill in Northern NJ that, from time to time, advertises slab wood for sale on Craig's List. It might be these guys http://www.woodboardsandbeams.com/about.html . Maybe call them or search google or even the yellow pages for saw mills near you. I have read on this and other forums that mills can be a good source for cheap or even free, drier slab wood. It may be something you could mix with your less than prime stuff. If I see the add, I'll post a link here.

I think your screen name says it all.

Burn the driest you got. While doing so go get more.

I don't understand your accounting of your wood. You seem to be planning ahead , which is good, but you are good for next year, but the year after you seem a bit short, while you have logs earmarked for the year after that. Even if they are oak logs there is no reason they can't be ready by the year before you are planning to use them. and if the wood you have planned for next year has been split and stacked for the whole summer it probably can be mixed with your two cords of dry stuff. The stuff you have for next year is likely drier than anything you will come across at this time of year. I'm guessing you will probably be able to get through this winter with what you have.

You could check for a Bio Brick type of heat. Mix it with everything you have, and you should be good to go.

i bought the house last year and didnt start getting logs till this summer and boy i got logs i have about 8-10 cords worth but not for this year i have about 2 cords that i got in the spring as logs from the prev fall but thats it

i plan on getting more and more to get even more ahead but that dosent help me this season

Status
Not open for further replies.